Authorities face tough territory in border patrol fatal shooting probe
Agents patrol the fence by driving along roads beside the barriers and monitor the area through surveillance cameras mounted on nearby towers and sensors placed along smuggling routes after the fence.
Agents who may find it hard to spot smugglers in the brush use remote sensors to detect illegal border-crossers so agents can be deployed in response. Seismic sensors buried in the ground on paths and trails in the desert and mountains north of the border are used to detect the passage of people, animals and vehicles.
Each Board Patrol station monitors hundreds of such sensors and can dispatch agents to the scene when the devices are triggered. "As people walk over that, that will trigger the signal," McCubbin said. "You go out and check it out."
Multiple sensors can be deployed along a path so agents can tell the direction of travel and get an idea of how large a group is involved, he said. Then agents can either get ahead of the group or come in from behind and use night-vision goggle sand infrared cameras to spot them.
Border Patrol agents often are posted several hundred feet and even miles away from the border to look for people who sneaked into the country. Once smugglers get past several layers of enforcement, they typically hook up with a driver on a highway or ranch road and use back roads to make their way around Border Patrol checkpoints.
In the county where the shooting occurred, checkpoints could be seen on two highways that carry traffic to and from Interstate 10.
Drug-sniffing dogs and agents screen traffic passing through the checkpoints, resulting in searches of vehicles if there are indications of smuggling activity. But the checkpoints' real enforcement purpose is indirect, Stoddard said.
"The real purpose of the checkpoint is to get the dope or people on foot in a remote area where they can be picked up. It's gravy when a load goes into the (checkpoint)."
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- CNN hires fired Trump campaign manager...
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Clinton failed to hand over key email to...
- The newscasters who have made the most cameos...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Rescuers search rubble in east China after...
- Britain will leave the 28-nation European...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 39
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 34
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 32
- Trump, in Scotland, links Brexit vote... 26
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 26