DENVER — The grandfather of a 6-year-old girl killed during the Aurora theater shootings wants a thief to return pictures of the child that were stolen from his home in a burglary this week.
"They're the last photos I have of her," said Robert Sullivan, grandfather of Veronica Moser-Sullivan, the youngest person slain in the July 20 attack that left 12 dead and dozens wounded.
Sullivan said Wednesday that four cameras were stolen, including one that had a memory card with more than 40 photos of Veronica at a school celebration. Other images show her at a playground.
Sullivan said he still has a well-known photo of the girl licking an ice cream cone, but the rest of the shots are gone. Sullivan said he hopes whoever has the pictures will recognize the girl and return the memory cards to him or police, even if they keep the cameras.
Denver police said Wednesday they are investigating the reported thefts, which also included a coin collection and cash.
Sullivan said the cameras were stolen early Tuesday when he and his wife were out of the house. He was on his way home from work, and his wife was out walking the dog. Sullivan said someone jimmied a window and broke in.
Former University of Colorado-Denver graduate student James Holmes is accused in the shooting spree that killed 12 people and wounded 58 others during a midnight showing of the summer's Batman movie.
Veronica's mother, Ashley Moser, was wounded during the shootings. She was left paralyzed and also miscarried.
Holmes was not charged in connection with the miscarriage. Karen Steinhauser, a former prosecutor who is an adjunct professor at the University of Denver, told The Associated Press homicide charges in Colorado only apply to those "who had been born and alive."
- The LDS Church's call for balance between gay...
- Video: Islamic State group beheads Japanese...
- Government telling immigrants that cases...
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- Prospective juror has sympathy for Tsarnaev,...
- Cumberbatch, Fry, others urge UK to pardon...
- List: 10 Super Bowl ads you'll be talking about
- Obama budget sets up battle with...
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run... 80
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 61
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 40
- The LDS Church's call for balance... 37
- Attorney General nominee picks up... 14
- Prosecutors promise thorough probe of... 11
- Keystone XL pipeline wins Senate vote... 10
- White House grapples with fraught... 10