Matthew Mead, Associated Press
This savory muffin studded with zucchini and cheddar cheese pairs as wonderfully with dinner as it does breakfast. And consider taking advantage of all that extra zucchini piling up in the garden by baking a double batch. The moisture from the zucchini means these muffins freeze well.
Want to make a whole-grain version? Substitute regular whole-wheat flour for half of the all-purpose flour. Or go all the way and use white whole-wheat flour in place of all of the all-purpose. White whole-wheat flour has the same nutrition as regular whole wheat, but is made from a lighter grain that produces a flour that tastes and looks similar to white.
ZUCCHINI CHEDDAR MUFFINS
Start to finish: 45 minutes
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed shredded zucchini
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Heat the oven to 400 F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or coat with baking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk, then whisk in the melted butter. Gently fold the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, then fold in the zucchini and cheddar just enough to incorporate.
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before turning out on a rack to cool completely.
Nutrition information per serving: 220 calories; 100 calories from fat (45 percent of total calories); 11 g fat (7 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 60 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 5 g sugar; 6 g protein; 360 mg sodium.
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- 19 little-known facts about the Mission:...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash your hair?
- The Clean Cut: Musician's movie theater...
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- Motherhood Matters: 4 ways to help your...
- Beating the odds: Trip to the White House...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an... 104
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Salt Lake protesters take their message... 18
- Herbert says new Medicaid expansion... 11
- Health care spending to accelerate, US... 7
- Government audit finds health law... 7
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two... 4
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living... 3