Our take: Beginning with several new meetinghouses in Utah, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has recently been finding ways to make the buildings more environmentally friendly. The newest "green" chapel is to be built in Englewood, N.J., and it will be the first LEED certified building in the town.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints broke ground Saturday on an enviromentally friendly state of the art meetinghouse in Englewood, planned to serve members of the Mormon faith from across Bergen County.
The 15,270-square-foot facility is expected to open in early 2014, according to a church news release. Plans call for it to include a chapel, 16 classrooms and offices, along with a gymnasium and underground parking spaces. The new meetinghouse, the release said, will also become Englewood's first building to carry LEED certification, which recognizes the structure's "green" construction.
Earth-friendly building features will include rooftop gardens to increase energy efficiency, a sophisticated water recycling system to reduce wastewater and limit the use of potable water for landscape irrigation, and advanced control systems for lighting and thermal comfort will also be installed, church officials said. Recycled and renewable building materials will also be used in construction.
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 106
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 37
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 35
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 34
- New friends plan to work together to... 24
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 17
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 17
- 5 reasons why we want to believe Jesus... 14