Dear Jeanne: I traditionally make these muffins every fall, and when my family smells them baking, they think "holidays." Can you reduce the fat, so I don't feel so guilty about making them? Thanks!
— Rebecca, Springfield, Ohio
When I put these two muffins side by side, my tasters actually preferred the lighter ones. They really have a great texture. No one will guess that they aren't full of fat, and the aroma in the house will be the clue that they are going to taste delicious!
Send your recipe for revision to:
Cook It Light
P.O. Box 1212
La Jolla, CA 92038
Please include a stamped (61 cents), self-addressed envelope.
© King Features Syndicate Inc.
31?3 cups flour
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
11/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2?3 cup milk
1 cup canola oil
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup raisins
Combine all ingredients and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
Makes 30 muffins.
? ? ?
REDUCED-FAT PUMPKIN MUFFINS
11/2 cups oatmeal, ground
11/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup raisins or craisins
3/4 cup liquid egg substitute, or 6 egg whites
1 can (15 ounces, or 13/4 cups) pumpkin
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray 30 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray, or line with papers. Set aside.
2. Grind the oatmeal as fine as you can in your food processor or blender; combine with the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the water and the raisins or craisins, and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir the egg substitute or egg whites into the pumpkin (beat the whites slightly first to break them up, if using). Then add the granulated and brown sugars, oil and buttermilk, mixing well after each addition. Add the mixture of water and raisins or craisins, and thoroughly combine.
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Book review: Brandon Sanderson's 'Words of...
- First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- Doug's Take: 'Mr. Peabody and Sherman' clever...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 41
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 19
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 9
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes' 6
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance... 5