Utah Utes basketball: David Foster re-injures foot; will turn focus to pro level next year
Tom Smart, University of Utah Athletics
SALT LAKE CITY — David Foster's basketball career at the University of Utah is over. The 7-foot-3 senior, who missed all of last season with a broken right foot, has re-injured it and will have surgery next week — sidelining him for the entire 2012-13 campaign.
"I am very disappointed to have to sit out another year at Utah," Foster said in a released statement. "I will have surgery on my foot and I plan to continue my basketball career at the professional level after this year."
Foster finishes his Utah career as the program's all-time blocked shots leader with 219.
"We are very disappointed for Dave, especially with all of the hard work he put in and the commitment he made to our program over the last couple of years," said Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak. "It's really a shame that he won't get a chance to play his senior year at Utah.
"Dave is a great leader for our young team and will continue to be involved with our program. We will see how he responds to the surgery and hopefully he can continue his basketball career in the future."
Foster, who was the 2009-10 Mountain West Conference Defensive Player of the Year, appeared in 80 games and made 47 starts for Utah over three seasons — averaging 3 points and 3.9 rebounds per game. He served an LDS Church mission in North Carolina after his freshman year and was granted a medical redshirt following last season's injury.
The loss of Foster leaves the Utes with two centers on the active roster — 7-foot sophomore Dallin Bachynski and 6-foot-10 senior Jason Washburn.
Utah (6-25 last season) opens its second campaign under head coach Larry Krystkowiak with an exhibition game at home against Simon Fraser on Nov. 2. The Utes host Willamette on Nov. 9.
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28