RCA Records, Associated Press
Miguel, "Kaleidoscope Dream" (ByStorm/RCA Records)
Miguel's sophomore effort "Kaleidoscope Dream" oozes sex with a bit of rock 'n' roll and funk, further elevating and pushing the elasticity of R&B like other acts including Frank Ocean, the Weeknd and Jhene Aiko.
The Grammy-nominated singer had mild success with hits "Quickie" and "Sure Thing" from his 2010 debut "All I Want Is You." He's also recognized for his feature on rapper Wale's "Lotus Flower Bomb" in 2011 and his stellar three-volume EP "Art Dealer Chic" released earlier this year.
The new album's first single "Adorn," which is No. 1 on Billboard's R&B/Hip Hop Singles chart, is a sensual, addictive jam.
The 11-track set is packed with bedroom grooves including the 808-booming "Arch & Point" and the melodious, erotic "Use Me."
Miguel proves he's a master of wordplay on "Do You ...," a mellow, hippie love ode produced by Jerry Wonda, where he croons "I'm gonna do you like drugs tonight." He also flexes his alternative edge on "Don't Look Back," which samples the Zombies' "Time of the Season."
He leaves the bedroom for the more conscious, stirring tracks like "Candles in the Sun" and the top-notch "Where's the Fun in Forever." On the track, co-written by Alicia Keys, Miguel sings, "Tomorrow's just a day away, tomorrow isn't promised/Where's the fun in forever. Celebrate."
The album's title track is aptly named with a mesmerizing blend of funky bass line, electric guitar, strings and layered vocals.
CHECK OUT THIS TRACK: Miguel's falsetto glides over a knocking hip-hop beat on the Salaam Remi-produced "How Many Drinks?" about the all too familiar tale of meeting someone at the bar and taking them home.
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video sentenced
- 'Gotham' actor's Penguin inspired by DC Comics
- Suspenseful 'Maze Runner' dodges limitations...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- The latest ‘Godzilla’ reboot...
- Summer movie season wasn't so bad for 'the...
- Paintbrushes, fairy tales and chore charts:...
- 'Alive Inside' is a testament to the healing...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 4
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 2
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for... 2
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream... 2