O'Donnell confronted Ahmadinejad with an underling's declaration that Iran was supplying aid to Syrian President Bashar Assad's military crackdown on his own people. The Iranian leader chuckled, denied the statement and made it clear that he saw the interview more as sport than a way to provide information.
Licht said he's seen O'Donnell come in and change the direction of segments based on some reporting calls she had made the night before.
"She has sources," he said. "She goes on the air with information not that she's gotten from a one-sheet but from picking up the phone and calling sources. She's going to bring a totally different dynamic and very specific reporting than you're going to find with most anchors."
O'Donnell did have something of a blank look on her face one day last week as she sat at the anchor desk with Rose, King and musician Dwight Yoakam. She winced recalling an admittedly star-struck chat with Serena Williams. Morning TV requires a command over a broad range of subject matter, and that's something O'Donnell needs to work on.
"I am so used to concentrating on facts and what politicians have said in the past and what votes they've made, that it is sort of a different experience for me to step back and have a conversation with people who are successful in sports or music or innovation in business," she said.
There are plenty more of those opportunities to come.
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Challenge to Utah's same-sex marriage ban
- Unions and tea party activists? Common Core...
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's birth...
- A guide to this year's best tech gifts
- Obama's Kenyan-born uncle allowed to remain...
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 37
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Challenge to Utah's same-sex marriage ban 23
- Obama declares health care law is... 15
- White House: On track for health care... 13
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 12
- Americans may be acting stingy in the... 12