Utah Utes: Utah women's soccer team posts shutout

Published: Sunday, Sept. 30 2012 11:00 p.m. MDT

In the second half, junior midfielder Jennifer Flynn continued the aggressiveness for Utah State. The Aggie offense was plagued by three offsides calls in the second half.

In her first start since the win against UTEP on Aug. 19, Woller stood strong against one of the top offenses in the WAC. In the 81st minute, she made a save on a Nikki Pappalardo shot that led to a Nicholette DiGiacomo corner kick. The USU defense then blocked a shot by Kallie Vaughn.

The aggressive Pioneers continued to come on strong with a DiGiacomo shot that hit the cross bar in the 85th minute, but the Aggies remained strong and responded with a Flynn shot that was block in the 87th minute.

Utah State had its first shot on goal in the 99th minute when sophomore midfielder Lexie Morgan fired a shot that was saved by Denver's Lara Campbell.

In a familiar scenario for the Aggies, neither team was able to end the match in 90 minutes, and the match headed to overtime. DU had seven shots in 20 minutes of overtime, while USU had three.

Woller ended the match with six saves, while Campbell had three. DU out-shot USU 24-10, while leading in corner kicks, 10-1.

Following the tough two-match road trip, Utah State returns to the friendly confines of Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field for two matches. USU will host UTSA on Friday, Oct. 5 at 3 p.m. and Texas State on Sunday, Oct. 7 at 1 p.m. as the Aggies begin the third month of the season.


LOS ANGELES — A late, second-half surge came up just short for the Utah Valley University soccer team, as it dropped a 3-2 decision to Loyola Marymount Sunday afternoon at Sullivan Field.

Trailing 3-0 with only 25 minutes to play, UVU (1-10-1) got on the board with a Regan Benson strike in the 60th minute. The senior volleyed home a headed pass from Lexi Felisoff a set piece to keep the Wolverines alive.

LMU (6-3-2) kept UVU off the board for the next 20 minutes, but McKell Salmon renewed the Wolverines' comeback hopes. Nicole Slater drove a shot on goal that was pushed out by LMU's Jagger. The deflection fell straight to Salmon, though, whose shot into the open net made the score 3-2 in the 84th minute.

The goal was the first of the year for the sophomore midfielder.

UVU fought frantically for the equalizer in the final minutes, but Felis' shot in the waning seconds flew wide, finalizing the 3-2 score.

Junior Tawni Martino scored twice and added an assist for the Lions, who outshot the Wolverines 21-10 in the match.

The Lions got off to a quick start, finding the net at 3:03 when Jocelyn Blankenship scored from the top of the box on a feed from Tawni Martino. Martino got into the scoring act eight minutes later when she took a through ball from Darien Pyka and beat goalkeeper Lauren Sackinto the left corner.

Lexi Robison had a chance to tie the match in the sixth minute, but her shot, coming from a Jaime Lyons corner kick, was stopped by LMU goalie Brittany Jagger. Haley Curtis provided the Wolverines' only other shot on goal in the first half when her shot in the 24th minute forced another save.

The Wolverines' had three more shots turned away in the last 45 minutes, with Jagger keeping out shots from Benson and Lyons, and a bending corner kick from Salmon lifted off the line by a Lion defender for an LMU team save.

Martino scored what proved to be the game-winner in the 56th minute, this time firing a shot from the left side of the box that slipped through Sack's hands.

UVU will play the final game of its midseason, six-game road swing Tuesday as it remains in the Golden State for a 2 p.m. matchup with CSU Bakersfield.. From there, the Wolverines return to Orem to begin defense of its 2011 Great West Conference title. NJIT visits Clyde Field Friday night at 7 p.m. in the GWC opener for both squads.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere