Oakland's troubles after halftime continued a disturbing trend. The Raiders have been outscored 55-7 in the third quarter so far.
"Well, I'm not exactly sure what that is, but we need to get it figured out because we haven't played good in the third quarter," Allen said. "The time of possession is killing us."
The Raiders had the ball less than 23 minutes.
The area that's most disconcerting? That's easy, Allen said.
"Third down. Both sides of the ball. Not good enough."
Oakland was 1 for 12 on third downs, Denver 10 of 16.
"You've got to stay on the field and we didn't do that," Palmer said. "We left our defense hanging, we left them on the field too long in the third quarter."
The Raiders' best chance at beating Denver was Darren McFadden, their leading rusher and receiver who has made a career of beating up the Broncos. But he gained just 34 yards on 13, averaging just 1.9 yards a carry after Oakland's opening drive.
"I just feel we never really stayed in sync on offense," McFadden said.
Manning was sacked eight times in his first three games in Denver, but the Raiders couldn't get to him before or after center J.D. Walton hurt his left ankle and was replaced by veteran Dan Koppen in the second quarter.
"That's obviously an area we've got to improve in," Allen said. "We've got to get to the quarterback. We've got to look at what we can do to generate a pass rush, but pass defense works collectively. It's pass rush and pass coverage together."
Both were absent Sunday.
Follow AP Pro Football Writer Arnie Melendrez Stapleton on Twitter: http://twitter.com/arniestapleton
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes' most...
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is...
- Cougars say they have learned lessons in wake...
- Lindon father of five sets world record in...
- Brad Rock: Faith helped infamous former MLB...
- Eight BYU, Utah players make the Polynesian...
- Family man: Former Ute, NFL standout Sione...
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 73
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 70
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 26
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 26
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 25
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake... 14
- Kincade: Poor shooting, signings have... 11