Ryan said Friday that the Jets would wait to put Revis on injured reserve until he has surgery in a few weeks, keeping him available in case New York goes to the Super Bowl.
If the Jets play like this the rest of the way, just getting to the playoffs will be a tall task.
"If anybody thought that we were there, or close to being there, today was a real wakeup call," linebacker Aaron Maybin said. "Today was an indication that all of us have mistakes that have to be rectified if we're going to be able to turn this ship around."
Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and backup quarterback Colin Kaepernick — on a wildcat-style option — all ran for scores as the 49ers bounced back from a disappointing loss last week at Minnesota. Rather than head back to the West Coast after that defeat, coach Jim Harbaugh chose to have his team stay in eastern Ohio and practice at Youngstown State all week.
"After the last game, some people were questioning us and we knew what we were capable of," said linebacker Aldon Smith, who had two sacks. "We played all together as a unit and proved what we are as a defense."
This was San Francisco's first shutout since beating the St. Louis Rams 26-0 last December.
"This team was pretty upset last week with ourselves," quarterback Alex Smith said. "Obviously, the guys came out ready to play and any time the defense plays like that makes it easy on us as an offense."
NOTES: WR Mario Manningham, a Super Bowl star with the Giants before joining the Niners as free agent, returned to the Meadowlands and had three catches for 47 yards, plus a 28-yard gain on an end-around ... David Akers kicked two field goals, but also missed from 55 and 40 yards wide right ... New York also lost FB John Conner with a hamstring injury.
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 93
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33