The campaign has suffered from the release of a hidden-camera video of Romney calling 47 percent of Americans victims who depend on government help. Almost two weeks after the video's release, the matter continues to dog Romney, featuring prominently in Obama's campaign ads.
Republicans, meanwhile, continued challenging Obama's foreign policy, saying his approach had contributed to unrest across the Middle East. Ryan cited Syria, Iran, Russia and Israel as countries where the "ugly fruits" of Obama's policies are unraveling.
Romney, speaking to voters in a podcast released Saturday, faulted Obama for presiding over a decline in the nation's moral standing and a retreat of American leadership. "President Obama's foreign policy is one of passivity and denial," Romney said. "And that places America and our friends and allies at the mercy of events and those who mean to do us harm."
Ryan, looking ahead to his lone debate on Oct. 11, said he expected Vice President Joe Biden would be highly disciplined despite a reputation for verbal slip-ups,
"He's fast on the cuff. He's a witty guy. He knows who he is and he's been doing this for 40 years," said Ryan. "You're not going to rattle Joe Biden."
Plouffe appeared on NBC's "Meet the Press" and ABC's "This Week." Christie spoke on NBC, ABC and CBS' "Face the Nation."
Associated Press writer Julie Pace in Las Vegas contributed to this report. Reach Josh Lederman on Twitter at http://twitter.com/joshledermanAP
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- Obama administration will allow green energy...
- 7 in 10 will need long-term care, ready or not
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 105
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 35
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 31
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 28
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23