BERKELEY, Calif. — Taylor Kelly threw three touchdown passes to help Arizona State send California to its worst start ever under coach Jeff Tedford with a 27-17 victory on Saturday.
Kelly connected with Kevin Ozier twice and Darwin Rogers once, and Arizona State (4-1, 2-0 Pac-12) used six sacks to improve its impressive start under first-year coach Todd Graham.
The start of the season hasn't gone nearly as well for Cal (1-4, 0-2) and Tedford despite the team returning to renovated Memorial Stadium. The Golden Bears have lost three straight games and are off to their worst start since losing their first 10 games in 2001 under Tom Holmoe — who was succeeded the following season by Tedford.
After a strong start to his tenure, Tedford has a losing record since the start of the 2009 season. His only win this year came against Southern Utah of the FCS, and the frustration from fans was evident all afternoon.
The Sun Devils, who lead the Pac-12 in scoring and total defense, harassed Zach Maynard all afternoon, proving they can be just effective against a starting quarterback after feasting on backups the previous three weeks.
UCLA 42, COLORADO 14: At Boulder, Colo., Brett Hundley, Johnathan Franklin and the rest of the UCLA Bruins bounced back from a tough defeat, beating Colorado 42-14 Saturday night for their best start since 2007.
Hundley threw for 281 yards and two touchdowns and also ran for two scores as the Bruins (4-1, 1-1 Pac-12) improved to 30-10-2 in the weeks following a loss that dropped them from the rankings. They tumbled from No. 19 last week with a loss at home to Oregon State.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34