UTAH VALLEY CROSS COUNTRY: At Minneapolis, Minn., for the second time in the their last three visits to the Roy Griak Invitational, the Wolverine men's and women's cross country teams finished in the top 10 behind a 13th-place finish by Cliff Nielson (25:06) and a 33rd-place finish by freshman Darian Sharp (22:21).
SUU CROSS COUNTRY: At Eugene, Ore., the Thunderbird women earned a second-place finish behind Oregon, a team ranked third in the nation, at the Bill Dellinger Invitational. The men finished third behind No. 3 BYU and No. 23 Oregon, coming in ahead of the Pac-12's Washington.
Jamie Smith led the women's squad for the second consecutive meet, finishing third overall with a time of 16:59 and cutting 26 seconds off her 2011 finish.
Nate Jewkes led the men in the 8K with a fourth-place time of 23:51.
BYU GOLF: At Albuquerque, the Cougars shot a final round 11-over par to finish tied for fourth place at the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate.
Senior Zac Blair led the Cougars during the final round, shooting a 74 (+2) to tie for 13th overall in the individual standings.
UTAH GOLF: At Albuquerque, the Utes finished with a team score of 902 (303-297-302), earning 10th place at the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate.
Junior Casey Halliday led the Utes with 221 (76-68-77), tying for 16th.
BYU TENNIS: At Berkeley, Calif., freshman BYU tennis player Mackenna Maddox advanced to the semifinals of the Cal Nike Invitational and two other Cougars from the women's team earned their way to the quarterfinals.
Maddox won her first match of the tournament by beating Blair Reed from South Florida, 6-2, 6-0. Her next victory came over Nevada's Sheila Smiley, 6-3, 2-6, 6-0. In the quarterfinals, Maddox squeaked her way past Bianca Modoc from Fresno State, 6-4, 7-6 (3).
Junior Desiree Tran and sophomore Meghan Sheehan-Dizon played together in the doubles round and beat their first opponents, Katharina Knoebl and Sophil Lohscheidt from Sacramento, 8-4. The pair fell in the quarterfinal round to Cal's Annett Schutting and Annie Goransson, 8-4.
UTAH STATE TENNIS: At Tulsa, Okla., in the opening round of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Men's All-American Pre-Qualifying Championship, Sven Poslusny fought hard but fell in straight sets to Eastern Washington's Joseph Cohen (7-6 , 6-2) and heads to today's consolation draw.
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5 in...
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- Saturday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Kent Myers should have started for...
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to Utah next...
- In critical situations, BYU offense, defense...
- BYU report card: Defense holds its own...
- Nerves? Not for Alec Burks, Utah Jazz going...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 31
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 25
- Utah's win over Oregon proof of what... 24
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 22
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 21