For Obama: You recently said changing Washington "from the outside" is "how some of our biggest accomplishments like health care got done — mobilizing the American people." You're kidding, right? A majority of the American people never supported passage of Obamacare. Did you not secure passage by deals with Big Pharma and other inside Washington players?
For both: Do you agree that a financial institution that is too big to fail is too big to exist? If not, why not? The biggest banks emerged from the Great Recession bigger. At the end of 2011, the five biggest (JPMorgan, Bank of America, Citigroup, Wells Fargo and Goldman Sachs) held more than $8.5 trillion in assets, which is 56 percent of the 2011 GDP. Why should they not be broken up?
For Obama: Your deep blue Illinois — like another essentially one-party Democratic state, California — is buckling under the weight of its portion of the estimated $2.5 trillion in unfunded state pension obligations. Will you promise to oppose attempts to force the taxpayers to bail out badly governed states?
For both: Do you assume the Almighty is not paying attention whenever you say "I approve this message"?
George Will's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance...
- My view: The 'resource curse' and rush for...
- In our opinion: Unfinished legislative...
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in the...
- Will November be a referendum on Obamacare?
- My view: The sage grouse is worth protecting
- Letter: Democracy is ...
- Dan Liljenquist: Legislative gems: Much to...
- It doesn't have to be hard for... 60
- In our opinion: Obama's immigration... 52
- Letter: End daylight saving time 45
- Obama shows his funny side while... 40
- Libertarian wave wins big at CPAC 34
- Letter: Invite the divine 32
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance... 31
- My view: SB54 will politically and... 30