Our Take: The recent release of the film "Won't Back Down" has created quite a stir with teachers' unions because of its positive message about school choice. Walden Media President, Micheal Flaherty, recently spoke with National Review Onlines Kathryn Jean Lopez about his interest in the film. Flaherty is a Deseret News Editorial Advisory Bard member.
'Wont Back Down,' released in theaters today, has teachers unions furious because of its positive portrayal of school choice. The movie, about a failing public school in Pittsburgh, stars Oscar nominees Viola Davis and Maggie Gyllenhaal, and was produced by Walden Media and 20th Century Fox. Waldens president, Micheal Flaherty, talks with National Review Onlines Kathryn Jean Lopez on his and our vested interest in the project.
KATHRYN JEAN LOPEZ: Who cant back down when it comes to education?
MICHEAL FLAHERTY: State and federal legislators need to make sure that parents have as much choice as possible over their kids education. Too often parents particularly poor and minority parents have to rely 100 percent on luck in a system where their odds are about the same as what they would get at the blackjack table. Parents are the only people who have no conflict of interest when it comes to education. Their decision is solely based on what is in the best interest of the child. The more power and choice we give parents, the more opportunity we will have for their kids as well as other peoples children. But we need to make sure that city, state, and local governments give them the tools they need.
- In the words of Thomas Jefferson: Why...
- In our opinion: Hughes, House and Healthy...
- A. Scott Anderson: Healthy Utah is the...
- Letter: Medically fragile
- Michael Gerson: Christianity, grace...
- Jay Evensen: Don't turn prison relocation...
- Dan Liljenquist: In order to confront Islamic...
- Letter: Bear Lake driving
- Robert Bennett: Are Republican... 49
- Dan Liljenquist: In order to confront... 40
- Kathleen Parker: Republican candidates... 38
- Letter: Medically fragile 27
- Letter: Harmful side effects 23
- Mark Reynolds: Pipeline alternatives... 23
- Allowing export of U.S. crude oil would... 22
- Require a civics test? Americans have a... 20