Our Take: The recent release of the film "Won't Back Down" has created quite a stir with teachers' unions because of its positive message about school choice. Walden Media President, Micheal Flaherty, recently spoke with National Review Onlines Kathryn Jean Lopez about his interest in the film. Flaherty is a Deseret News Editorial Advisory Bard member.
'Wont Back Down,' released in theaters today, has teachers unions furious because of its positive portrayal of school choice. The movie, about a failing public school in Pittsburgh, stars Oscar nominees Viola Davis and Maggie Gyllenhaal, and was produced by Walden Media and 20th Century Fox. Waldens president, Micheal Flaherty, talks with National Review Onlines Kathryn Jean Lopez on his and our vested interest in the project.
KATHRYN JEAN LOPEZ: Who cant back down when it comes to education?
MICHEAL FLAHERTY: State and federal legislators need to make sure that parents have as much choice as possible over their kids education. Too often parents particularly poor and minority parents have to rely 100 percent on luck in a system where their odds are about the same as what they would get at the blackjack table. Parents are the only people who have no conflict of interest when it comes to education. Their decision is solely based on what is in the best interest of the child. The more power and choice we give parents, the more opportunity we will have for their kids as well as other peoples children. But we need to make sure that city, state, and local governments give them the tools they need.
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- Letter: Envision Utah scam
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 70
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 51
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 46
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 42
- Letter: Human body 41
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 37
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 25
- In our opinion: School libraries need... 19