Hobby Lobby stands ground against group asking to drop health care lawsuit
Our take: Hobby Lobby is the first Chrisitan Evangelical business to sue the federal government over the Affordable Care Act's preventative care mandate. But the lawsuit isn't about religious objection to birth control, per se. It's about being forced to provide the "morning after pill" to its employees.
A petition with 80,000 signatures brought forward by a social activist group demanding that Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. drop its lawsuit opposing the Health and Human Services "preventive services" mandate is misleading and wrong, says a lawyer for the Christian family-owned nationwide business.
According to a press release from "Faithful America" and subsequent news reports, a Christian evangelical pastor identified as the Rev. Lance Schmitz of Capitol Hill Church of the Nazarene in Oklahoma City, attempted to deliver the petition to the Hobby Lobby headquarters in Oklahoma City on Thursday and was kicked off the premises and unable to deliver the petition.
Kyle Duncan, general counsel for the Becket Fund, who is defending Hobby Lobby in the HHS lawsuit, told The Christian Post on Thursday that although he does not know exactly what transpired at the company's headquarters, he has read the petition.
"The petition is misleading. It makes it seem as if Hobby Lobby is seeking to exclude birth control from its health plan all together. That's just not true. The Green family and Hobby Lobby do not have any religious objection to birth control per se. Their plans have covered preventive contraceptives and will continue to do so," Duncan said.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- President Henry B. Eyring: 'The Comforter'
- Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson: 'Defenders of the...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- From log cabin to university, BYU-Idaho...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 165
- Why I don’t call myself a... 92
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 63
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 16
- Meet the Muslim actor playing Jesus in... 10
- General Women's Session focuses on... 10
- State bills to protect religious... 9