Hobby Lobby stands ground against group asking to drop health care lawsuit
Our take: Hobby Lobby is the first Chrisitan Evangelical business to sue the federal government over the Affordable Care Act's preventative care mandate. But the lawsuit isn't about religious objection to birth control, per se. It's about being forced to provide the "morning after pill" to its employees.
A petition with 80,000 signatures brought forward by a social activist group demanding that Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. drop its lawsuit opposing the Health and Human Services "preventive services" mandate is misleading and wrong, says a lawyer for the Christian family-owned nationwide business.
According to a press release from "Faithful America" and subsequent news reports, a Christian evangelical pastor identified as the Rev. Lance Schmitz of Capitol Hill Church of the Nazarene in Oklahoma City, attempted to deliver the petition to the Hobby Lobby headquarters in Oklahoma City on Thursday and was kicked off the premises and unable to deliver the petition.
Kyle Duncan, general counsel for the Becket Fund, who is defending Hobby Lobby in the HHS lawsuit, told The Christian Post on Thursday that although he does not know exactly what transpired at the company's headquarters, he has read the petition.
"The petition is misleading. It makes it seem as if Hobby Lobby is seeking to exclude birth control from its health plan all together. That's just not true. The Green family and Hobby Lobby do not have any religious objection to birth control per se. Their plans have covered preventive contraceptives and will continue to do so," Duncan said.
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- Are church youth dances outdated?
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms. Virginia...
- Rare LDS Church document discovered that...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- Defending the Faith: The mystery of the...
- Joseph and Emma Smith as parents
- Defending the Faith: The mystery of the... 79
- Are church youth dances outdated? 64
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries... 56
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms.... 38
- Elder Nelson dedicates Life Sciences... 13
- Okla. attorney general wants private... 13
- Joseph and Emma Smith as parents 10
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the... 10