Obama met with advisers Friday at Democratic National Committee headquarters in Washington to prepare for the debates before heading Sunday to Nevada to hold practice sessions. His campaign released a political memo on Friday saying it expects Romney "to be a prepared, disciplined and aggressive debater."
However, it said that while the president would be laying out his vision for the coming years, Romney has "signaled that he will come to indict the president for the fact that the economy has not fully recovered from the collapse of 2008."
The Obama memo and an accompanying Web video also aim to debunk claims by Romney that the president has mischaracterized the Republican's positions on the auto industry bailout, abortion and raising taxes on wage earners to cover tax cuts for multimillionaires.
With economic concerns paramount for voters, Obama and Romney continue to jab over who would best protect American manufacturing workers against unfair trade and currency practices by China. In an interview with the Plain Dealer newspaper of Cleveland, Obama said the United States must push hard but "not go out of our way to embarrass" China to get results.
"There's a strong nationalist sentiment inside of China, and they've got their own economic pressures," Obama told the newspaper during a campaign visit this week. "So we're not interested in triggering an all-out trade war that would damage both economies. What we're interested in is making sure they're treating our workers fairly, and that's what we've delivered on."
Obama on Friday used his presidential authority to block a Chinese company from owning four wind farm projects near a Navy base in Oregon, citing national security risks. It was the first time in 22 years that a U.S. president blocked such a foreign business deal.
Obama campaign video: http://tinyurl.com/cllgnau
Pickler reported from Washington. AP White House Correspondent Ben Feller in Washington contributed to this report.
- Appeals courts issue contradictory rulings on...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Survey: Public 'warm' to Jews, Catholics and...
- Train with plane crash bodies leaves rebel town
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard to...
- BYU-Idaho, Rexburg experience flooding after...
- Obama will sign order barring gay,...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 45
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 25
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 25
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 21
- Tea party groups' suit against IRS... 20
- US appeals court tosses Oklahoma gay... 19
- Ukraine: 295 on Malaysia plane shot... 14
- Obama voices concern about casualties... 13