Eric Risberg, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Apple CEO Tim Cook says the company is "extremely sorry" for the frustration its Maps application has caused and it's doing everything it can to make it better. In the meantime, he recommended that people use competing map applications to get around.
Cook said in a letter posted online Friday that Apple "fell short" of its commitment to make the best products for its customers.
"Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard," Cook said.
The Cupertino, Calif., company released an update to its iPhone and iPad operating system last week that replaced Google Maps with Apple's own map application. But users complained that the new map software offers fewer details, lacks public transit directions and misplaces landmarks, among other problems. Users have been flocking to social media to complain and make fun of the app's glitches.
It's an unusual misstep for Apple, the world's most valuable company. Apple prides itself on releasing best-of-class products. Cook said Apple's Maps will get better as more people use the app and provide feedback. Even so, he recommended some options.
"While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app," Cook wrote.
Apple released the iPhone 5 last week and on Monday it said it sold more than 5 million of them in three days. That was fewer than analysts expected, even though the number is a record for any phone.
Shares of Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple Inc. slid $8.12 to $673.20 late Friday morning, amid a broader market decline.
- What could McDonald's do to fix its business?
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- Don't be surprised if you find your boss...
- Photos: Sharing birthday wishes
- Nibley water ban in place until at least...
- The other gender gap less people are talking...
- Diet Pepsi dropping aspartame on customer...
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 10
- Are you ready to start using a digital... 5
- Airline industry is least liked... 4
- How much money should you be saving... 4
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 3
- Photos: Sharing birthday wishes 2
- Why McDonald's is still a powerhouse,... 1
- US stocks waver as corporate earnings... 1