Our take: Should Mitt Romney win the upcoming election, his future ward in Washington, D.C., would be the D.C. Third Ward. While the ward is ready to welcome the Romneys, most members of the congregation are Democrats. In this piece from The Washington Post, Michelle Boorstein talks with members of the ward.
If Mitt Romney wins the presidency, one decision about life in Washington would be made for him: his church. Mormonism mandates that followers attend their assigned local congregation, called a ward, and folks at the Third Ward on 16th Street NW are already revved up with excitement.
Well, kind of.
Theyre mostly Democrats, including the sort of President Obama supporters that Romney was secretly videotaped disparaging in his now-notorious remark about the 47 percent of Americans who dont pay federal taxes.
But the Third Ward congregants dont seem inclined to hold a grudge.
I hope he doesnt end up making that move [to the White House], but if he does, Id welcome him with open arms, said Corban Tillemann-Dick, 26, who works phone banks for Obamas reelection.
In fact, if Romney wins, Tillemann-Dick hopes he might be picked to be the new presidents home teacher, a designated person every Mormon has in their congregation as a go-to caregiver.
If he needed a friend to talk to or a shoulder to cry on I think it would be a wonderful opportunity, he said.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Seventh-day Adventist leader calls on family...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- After government topples crosses in China,...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 76
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 65
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 50
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 32
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 24
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 19
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16