Our take: Should Mitt Romney win the upcoming election, his future ward in Washington, D.C., would be the D.C. Third Ward. While the ward is ready to welcome the Romneys, most members of the congregation are Democrats. In this piece from The Washington Post, Michelle Boorstein talks with members of the ward.
If Mitt Romney wins the presidency, one decision about life in Washington would be made for him: his church. Mormonism mandates that followers attend their assigned local congregation, called a ward, and folks at the Third Ward on 16th Street NW are already revved up with excitement.
Well, kind of.
Theyre mostly Democrats, including the sort of President Obama supporters that Romney was secretly videotaped disparaging in his now-notorious remark about the 47 percent of Americans who dont pay federal taxes.
But the Third Ward congregants dont seem inclined to hold a grudge.
I hope he doesnt end up making that move [to the White House], but if he does, Id welcome him with open arms, said Corban Tillemann-Dick, 26, who works phone banks for Obamas reelection.
In fact, if Romney wins, Tillemann-Dick hopes he might be picked to be the new presidents home teacher, a designated person every Mormon has in their congregation as a go-to caregiver.
If he needed a friend to talk to or a shoulder to cry on I think it would be a wonderful opportunity, he said.
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- President Uchtfdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS...
- LDS Church releases video about overcoming...
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in the...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 89
- LDS Church releases video about... 42
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list... 21
- LDS stake presidency participates in... 19
- Amish country bristles at... 10
- Want to keep your faith in college?... 7
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 6
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 6