Here's how the pennant races look with six days to go:
— CLOSING IN: Washington and Texas can wrap up division titles this weekend. Both teams have a magic number of three. Gio Gonzalez pitched the NL East-leading Nationals past Philadelphia 7-3 Thursday night, becoming the first 21-game winner in the majors. Hours earlier, Ian Kinsler hit his seventh leadoff homer this season and the Rangers beat Oakland 9-7 to earn a four-game split that maintained their four-game AL West lead over the Athletics.
— DOUBLE DECK: The wild-card races are coming down to the wire. St. Louis has a three-game lead over the Dodgers for the final NL playoff spot. Baltimore sits atop the AL wild-card standings, a game ahead of Oakland. Two games behind the A's are the Angels and surging Rays. Tampa Bay has won eight in a row.
— FADING FAST: Rookie manager Robin Ventura and the Chicago White Sox have hit the skids at the wrong time. They've dropped eight of nine, falling two games behind first-place Detroit in the AL Central. Brett Myers gave up a tiebreaking homer to Evan Longoria in the ninth inning of a 3-2 loss to Tampa Bay on Thursday night.
— NEXT UP: Texas can become the first American League team to clinch a playoff spot with a win Friday night over the Angels. It won't be easy, though. Los Angeles ace Jered Weaver (19-4) pitches against midseason acquisition Ryan Dempster.
— CHASE CHATTER: "We know what's at stake right now and we've just got to go out there and keep picking up wins. We've got a little six-game playoff race." — Nick Swisher after the New York Yankees lost 6-0 in Toronto, trimming their AL East lead to one game over Baltimore.
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- Speculation begins about who the next Utah...
- High school sports: Tuesday's roundup
- U. student government passes resolution... 98
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 41
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19