PROVO — BYU's athletic department inducted five former athletes into the school's Hall of Fame on Thursday in a ceremony in the Cougar Room at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
The 2012 inductees include football players Gordon Gravelle (1967-1971) and John Tait (1993, 1996-1998), cross country athlete Elizabeth Jackson (1996-2000), men's gymnast Cortney Bramwell (1997-2000) and men's volleyball player Hector Lebron (1997-2001).
The inductees will be honored during halftime of the BYU vs. Hawai'i football game Friday evening.
"Each year we have the opportunity to pay tribute to the finest student-athletes and coaches in BYU's storied past," said BYU director of athletics Tom Holmoe. "We are proud to honor the 2012 Hall of Fame class for their achievements in athletics and in the classroom, and for being great ambassadors of the university."
Since its inception in 1975, more than 175 athletes, coaches and administrators have been inducted into the BYU Athletic Hall of Fame. Among the criteria to be considered for induction are All-American status, university graduation, professional accomplishments and community service.
Bramwell was a member of the final men's gymnastics team at BYU in 2000. He was one of the first BYU gymnasts to win an NCAA individual event title.
Gravelle played for BYU from 1967-71. He was the WAC Lineman of the Year his senior season. He was drafted in the second round of the NFL draft and won two Super Bowls with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Jackson was a nine-time All-American in cross country and track and field at BYU.
Lebron led the Cougars to two National Championships and set a number of BYU assist records along the way.
Tait, an offensive lineman, was named to the Freshman All-America team. He started in all 37 games he played and helped lead BYU to a 29-11 record during that time.
After three years at BYU, Tait played 10 seasons in the NFL for the Kansas City Chiefs and Chicago Bears.
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in...
- College football predictions: How will... 136
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 56
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 46
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 39
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36