Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Hawaii (1-2) at BYU (2-2)
FRIDAY, 6 p.m.
LaVell Edwards Stadium (63,470)
Radio: 1160AM, 102.7FM
Weather: Clear skies, temperatures in the mid-70s.
For Hawaii ... The Warriors, under former longtime BYU assistant Norm Chow, are coming off a 69-24 thrashing at the hands of Nevada. This marks Chow's first return to Provo as a head coach.
For BYU ... The Cougars are looking to bounce back at home after back-to-back heartbreaking losses at Utah and Boise State.
For Hawaii ... The Warriors have lost two games to FBS opponents this season by a combined score of 118-34.
For BYU ... The Cougars have never lost to Hawaii in Provo, winning all eight previous meetings.
Hawaii will win if ... The Warriors force turnovers and capitalize by scoring touchdowns off those turnovers.
BYU will win if ... The Cougars play solid defense like they have all season, and the offense can find a semblance of a rhythm and avoid turnovers.
Player to watch
Taysom Hill, BYU: The true freshman could earn his first career start in place of injured starter Riley Nelson. If he does, can he build upon the 95-yard scoring drive he led against Boise State?
BYU's offensive line vs. Hawaii's defense: This is a game where the Cougar O-line, which has been struggling, should be able to execute better and provide time for the quarterback to throw the ball.
Hawaii: Offensive linemen Ben Dew (leg) and Frank Lloyd, Jr. (ankle) are questionable. Defensive lineman Hunter Thompson (knee) is expected to be back in the lineup.
BYU: Defensive lineman Eathyn Manumaleuna suffered a season-ending knee injury against Boise State. Ezekiel Ansah will take his spot in the starting lineup. Wide receiver Ross Apo (hamstring) is said to be back to full strength.
On Oct. 6, Hawaii travels to San Diego State. On Oct. 5, BYU hosts Utah State (6 p.m., ESPN).
Date Opponent Time/result
Aug. 30 Washington State W, 30-6
Sept. 8 Weber State W, 45-13
Sept. 15 at Utah L, 24-21
Sept. 20 at Boise State L, 7-6
Sept. 28 Hawaii 6 p.m.
Oct. 5 Utah State 8:15 p.m.
Oct. 13 Oregon State TBA
Oct. 20 at Notre Dame 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 27 at Georgia Tech TBA
Nov. 10 Idaho TBA
Nov. 17 at San Jose State 2 p.m.
Nov. 24 at New Mexico St. 1:30 p.m.
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- Utah Jazz excited for a crack at undefeated...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 103
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 56
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 44
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 33
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 28