Dish Network to launch satellite broadband service for rural areas in 14 states, including Utah
NEW YORK (AP) — Satellite TV company Dish Network Corp. is launching a broadband Internet service that's aimed at rural areas that don't currently get high-speed Internet.
Dish Network said Thursday that the satellite broadband service, dishNet, will start at $40 per month for people who bundle it with certain Dish's TV programming packages. The new service goes on sale Monday.
The company is targeting about 14.5 million Americans who, according to a Federal Communications Commission report, live in rural areas and don't have access to high-speed Internet. In all, about 19 million people in the U.S. don't have high-speed Internet service.
The dishNet service will offer download speeds of up to 10 megabytes per second. Dish said this is fast enough for typical Internet uses such as accessing social networks, music or video streaming and Internet telephone services.
The $40 per month service will offer download speeds of 5 megabytes per second. The faster service will cost $50 per month on top of a Dish TV account. Standalone Internet service without Dish TV will cost $10 more.
This service is available in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
Shares of Englewood, Colo.-based Dish rose 29 cents to $30.70 in morning trading Thursday. Its shares are down 14 percent from their 52-week high of $35.64 in mid-March.
- How to avoid wasting money on fees
- Maverik launches anti-DUI campaign as UHP...
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs and...
- School pays tribute to janitor 'Mr. Steve'...
- Balancing act: Quest for work-life balance...
- Israeli man allegedly launched cyberattack on...
- Dave Ramsey says: Dave Ramsey: Make time to...
- Randy Shumway: Invest in education to...
- There's more to why Americans don't... 13
- The battle over coal struggles to find... 4
- US productivity up 3.3 percent in... 2
- How Medicare is trying to start a... 2
- Randy Shumway: Invest in education to... 2
- World stocks fall after Fed suggests... 1
- Balancing act: Quest for work-life... 1
- Is there a bigger picture to the selfie? 1