"If President Obama were to be re-elected, what you'd see is four more years like the last four years, and we can't afford another four more years like the last four years," Romney told a boisterous crowd in Toledo at his final stop on Wednesday.
Romney said the country had lost more than half a million manufacturing jobs in the past four years. "This is not the path we want for America," he said.
Romney's campaign has been reeling from his caught-on-video comments at a Florida fundraiser last May. New opinion polls, conducted after the video became public last week, show Obama opening up apparent leads in battleground states, including Ohio and Virginia.
Romney told ABC News that the race was in a statistical tie in some national polls.
"I'm very pleased with some polls, less so with other polls, but frankly at this early stage, polls go up, polls go down," he said.
Obama was not about to let the video comments fade away. He said Wednesday that "America is not about what can be done for us. It's about what can be done by us together, as one nation, as one people."
He added, "You can't make it happen if you write off half the nation before you take office."
Obama supporters also are working to keep Romney's "47 percent" comments alive. Democratic super PAC Priorities USA Action and a political group tied to the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees released a radio ad in Ohio and Virginia airing the remarks. The ad, part of a $1.25 million radio buy, tells listeners Romney's "just not looking out for us."
Obama flubbed a line at Kent State while building to his argument for keeping jobs in the United States. He mistakenly said, "I want to see us export more jobs." He quickly corrected himself, saying he meant to say "export more products."
"Excuse me," Obama said. "I was a channeling my opponent there for a second."
Associated Press writers Kasie Hunt and Steve Peoples in Ohio, Beth Fouhy in New York and Ben Feller and Jim Kuhnhenn in Washington contributed to this report.
- Live at the GOP convention: Donald Trump...
- Thunderous boos for Cruz for refusing to...
- 17 arrested in flag-burning melee outside GOP...
- Trump's moment: Speech to close GOP...
- Cruz: Not supporting candidate who wages...
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Kaine emerges as a favorite in Clinton's VP...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in... 40
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Police give all-clear in Munich... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 25
- Thunderous boos for Cruz for refusing... 23
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 22
- Daughter Ivanka Trump raises issues... 21