Paul Sancya, Associated Press
Here's how the pennant races look with eight days to go:
— REDEMPTION: Chipper Jones and the Braves are back in the playoffs after missing out last season following a massive September collapse. Freddie Freeman hit a two-run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning that lifted Atlanta over Miami 4-3 on Tuesday night, clinching at least an NL wild-card berth for the Braves. The 40-year-old Jones, who plans to retire after the season, started the winning rally with a double.
— ALL SQUARE: After chasing the White Sox for more than three weeks, Detroit finally forged a tie atop the AL Central when Anibal Sanchez threw a three-hitter in a 2-0 win over Kansas City. Hours earlier, Chicago lost 4-3 to Cleveland for its sixth defeat in seven games. The Tigers have made up three games in a week on the White Sox, who had been alone in first place since Sept. 3.
— NEXT UP: Texas and Oakland resume their pivotal series Wednesday night after splitting a pair of one-run decisions. The A's trail the first-place Rangers by four games in the AL West but hold a two-game lead over the Angels for the league's second wild card. Los Angeles faces Mariners ace Felix Hernandez in a late game.
— ON THE MEND: Cincinnati will be without manager Dusty Baker for the rest of the week. Baker met with Reds players and revealed he suffered a mini-stroke in addition to being treated for an irregular heartbeat last week. The 63-year-old skipper hopes to return to the dugout next week as the NL Central champions try to earn home-field advantage throughout the postseason.
— CLOSING IN: With seven games to play, St. Louis has a 4½-game cushion over the Brewers and Dodgers in the race for the second NL wild card. Jaime Garcia pitched the defending champion Cardinals to a 4-0 victory at Houston. Milwaukee and Los Angeles both lost.
— CHASE CHATTER: "There was never any doubt. We knew that last year was somewhat of a fluke." — Atlanta slugger Chipper Jones after the Braves, who blew a huge wild-card lead last September, punched their postseason ticket.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Utah Utes football live blog: No. 20 USC...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz wrap up preseason play at 5-3...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 114
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 19
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18
- BYU-Boise State game expected to... 16