Valerie Phillips: Winners at Utah State Fair gave recipes their own twists and tastes
24 ounces Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, cut into six pieces; more for the pan
10 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon table salt
4 tablespoons water
1/2 cup Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, sifted if lumpy
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
2 tablespoons water
8 ounces Ghirardelli Bittersweet or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 cup heavy cream
MIDDLE AND TOPPING:
Make the cake: Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Butter two 9-by-2-inch spring form pans. Melt the Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips and butter in the microwave, stirring with a rubber spatula until smooth. Remove the bowl from microwave and set aside to cool slightly. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and 4 tablespoons water. Beat on medium-high speed until the mixture is very foamy, pale in color and doubled in volume. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually pour in the chocolate mixture. Increase the speed to medium-high and continue beating until well blended. Add the Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder and mix on medium low just until blended, about 30 seconds. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake until a pick inserted in the center comes out looking wet with small gooey clumps, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 30 minutes. If necessary, gently push the edges down with your fingertips until the layer is even. Run a small knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake. Cover the cake pan with a wire rack and invert. Remove the pan and parchment and let the cake cool completely.
Make the cream: Whip cream until soft peaks form. Mix raspberry jam with 2 tablespoons of water. Fold raspberry jam into whipped cream.
Make the ganache: Put the Ghirardelli bittersweet (or semi-sweet) chocolate chips in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk gently until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
To assemble: Place one of the cakes on a cake plate. Spread cream mixture over cake and place raspberries over cream. Place the other cake on top. Pour ganache over cake and allow it to drip down the sides. Place raspberries on top while ganache is soft. Refrigerate the cake until it's very cold, at least 6 hours or overnight.
— Ghirardelli Chocolate Championship, Annie Broadbent of Pleasant View, 1st Place, 2012 Utah State Fair
Valerie Phillips is the former Deseret News food editor. She blogs at www.chewandchat.blogspot.com.
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- NBC announces lead for live musical 'Peter Pan'
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested with...
- A dozen children's books I could read every day
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 11
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested... 1
- George W. Bush writes book about father 1
- Behind the scenes of the Utah... 1