Alex Brandon, Associated Press
Here's how the pennant races look with nine days to go:
— HOLDING SERVE: Four first-place teams were in action Monday and they all won. The White Sox stayed a game ahead of Detroit in the AL Central, Texas increased its AL West lead to five games over Oakland, and the Yankees moved 1½ games in front of Baltimore in the AL East when the Orioles split a doubleheader with Toronto. In the NL East, Washington cut its magic number to five for clinching the division.
— NEXT UP: Atlanta can clinch a playoff berth with a win at home over last-place Miami on Tuesday night or losses by both Milwaukee and the Los Angeles Dodgers. Kris Medlen (9-1) will start for the Braves.
— BREATHING ROOM: St. Louis opened a 3½-game lead over Milwaukee and the Dodgers in the race for the second NL wild card. Lance Lynn pitched the defending champion Cardinals past Houston 6-1 for his 17th win.
— YO, ADRIAN!: The Rangers rallied past second-place Oakland 5-4 behind two big hits from Adrian Beltre. Playing with stomach pain caused by what doctors believe is scar tissue from appendix surgery more than a decade ago, Beltre tied the score in the seventh inning with his 35th homer and singled home the winning run in the ninth.
— SUN AND GAMES: Jayson Werth wound up with a two-out, two-run double when Brewers center fielder Carlos Gomez lost a ball in the sun to spark a six-run fourth inning in Washington's 12-2 win over Milwaukee. The day before, it was the Brewers who benefited twice when Nationals outfielders lost fly balls in the sun.
— CHASE CHATTER: "The last homer, that probably was the most important so far in my career. That was a win we needed." — White Sox slugger Adam Dunn, who belted a three-run shot in the eighth inning for his second homer in a 5-4 victory over Cleveland that snapped Chicago's five-game losing streak.
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 65
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 48
- Annual instate college basketball... 37