"He's tougher than any of us," Mendenhall said of Nelson. "Medical personnel work on him every day all week to get him to where he can play. It's hard for him to make it through. But I believe in him and I'd like him to be our quarterback. If he's close to being able to go, we'll play him. If he can't go, then he won't play. It's similar to the past couple of weeks … He'll go until he can't hardly stand up. We have to know that and help him make that decision."
Doman said Nelson's back is healing and getting better.
"It's significantly better right now than it was a week ago. I would suspect that by (Friday) he'll be pretty close to back to normal. That will be a tough decision to make. Do you prolong it? Or do you sit him down and let it get better? We'll have to make that decision soon … Hopefully we'll make the right decision."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34