BYU blog Vanquish The Foe considers 'grit' of Riley Nelson after Boise State loss
Our Take: Fans have found plenty of places for blame after BYU's 7-6 loss at Boise State last Thursday, but much of the blame seems to rest on quarterback Riley Nelson, whose four turnovers cost the Cougars several offensive opportunities. Vanquish The Foe's Geoff Johnston writes that Nelson's well-known toughness and "grit" might have hurt BYU in this case:
Bronco Mendenhall's obsession with "grit and determination" has come back to haunt him in 2012. Bronco has been hopelessly devoted to "grit" from the beginning of his coaching career and that devotion, for the most part, has served BYU well. But in 2012, Bronco and offensive coordinator Brandon Doman decided to bet the farm on the ultimate gritty player, Riley Nelson. That bet has backfired and now BYU must scramble to salvage the 2012 season.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 67
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28