BYU blog Vanquish The Foe considers 'grit' of Riley Nelson after Boise State loss
Our Take: Fans have found plenty of places for blame after BYU's 7-6 loss at Boise State last Thursday, but much of the blame seems to rest on quarterback Riley Nelson, whose four turnovers cost the Cougars several offensive opportunities. Vanquish The Foe's Geoff Johnston writes that Nelson's well-known toughness and "grit" might have hurt BYU in this case:
Bronco Mendenhall's obsession with "grit and determination" has come back to haunt him in 2012. Bronco has been hopelessly devoted to "grit" from the beginning of his coaching career and that devotion, for the most part, has served BYU well. But in 2012, Bronco and offensive coordinator Brandon Doman decided to bet the farm on the ultimate gritty player, Riley Nelson. That bet has backfired and now BYU must scramble to salvage the 2012 season.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48