Brad Rock: Rock On: BYU's Riley Nelson will enter at least 1 hall of fame
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Moments after the Utes lost 37-7 to Arizona State on Saturday, an alarm sounded in the press box. Media members were told to evacuate.
Officials seemed confused as to the cause of the alarm, though the fire marshal instantly ruled out the Utes as a source of combustion.
Life comes at you fast.
Two weeks ago, Riley Nelson was being mentioned among the good-if-not-great BYU quarterbacks. But after losses to Utah and Boise State, Cougar fans are calling for his head.
As legacies go, it's doubtful Nelson will end up in Steve Young country. Now even Sean Covey/Bob Jensen levels might be unreachable.
Either way, Rock On predicts Nelson is a first-ballot selection for the BYU Hair Hall of Fame.
The anti-Nelson movement is no larger than the one blaming Bronco Mendenhall for trying a 2-point conversion in a 7-6 loss to Boise State.
Some say the Cougar coach was just following an adage that says you play to tie at home, win on the road. But Rock On thinks Mendenhall was actually referencing another classic: Listen to the fans and you'll end up sitting with them.
A REAL STUNNER
The Washington Post says San Diego Chargers center Nick Sundberg likes to volunteer as a test subject for the Taser company that employs his mother.
First time he tried it, he was nine.
"Every time they come out with a new one, I've tried it," he said.
Rock On must be getting old. He remembers when playing Monopoly was considered a good way to spend quality family time.
A recent dispute between two American Eagle female flight attendants in New York got so heated, the pilot returned the plane to the gate.
If only that had been an option when the Jerry Sloan-Deron Williams thing broke out.
MR. NO NAME
Tim Tebow shared with Vogue magazine his concept of an ideal companion.
"Obviously looks play a big part," he said. "Being attracted to someone plays a big part, but there's also so much more than that for me. …
"It's about finding a girl who likes me for me, and not because of what I do or who I am, or the name."
Good policy. That way she won't hold it against him if he never throws a pass for the Jets.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: therockmonster Facebook: rockmonsterunplugged
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is...
- Cougars say they have learned lessons in wake...
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes' most...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive line...
- Lindon father of five sets world record in...
- Eight BYU, Utah players make the Polynesian...
- Brad Rock: Faith helped infamous former MLB...
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 74
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 73
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 29
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 26
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 26
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake... 14
- Kincade: Poor shooting, signings have... 11