The church sold the Tribeca building last year for $9 million, $2.5 million less than what it had paid.
In exchange for the church's Aug. 14 agreement to cooperate in the ongoing investigation, the attorney general's office agreed not to block release of $4.5 million in proceeds remaining from the Tribeca sale so the church could buy a new home in Harlem.
KEYES: DONE WITH DISASTER WORK
Keyes says disaster and devastation have taken their toll. He's no longer a full-time pastor of Glad Tidings. His wife leads the church.
He and some volunteers recently helped build a home in Pennsylvania for victims of sex trafficking.
On his website, Keyes said he is "working with struggling towns and cities to write a screenplay and shoot a film in order to lift them out of poverty." He wrote that movie stars would be involved, and that the "lofty venture" would "result in the actual turnaround" of the yet-to-be-selected town.
Also, within the last year, Keyes has been on eBay selling a special coffee from Africa named after his Aid for the World charity. In its most recent financial disclosure report, that charity stated it owed $1 million to Glad Tidings and $300,000 to Keyes.
Keyes insists he's done with disasters, mostly because he says 9/11 and Katrina cost him, physically and emotionally. He was once lean and athletic. Now he struggles with his weight, at one point last year topping 400 pounds.
"I would never go back to relief work again, even if you pay me," he says. "It was a circus."
Associated Press researcher Judith Ausuebel in New York contributed to this report.
The AP National Investigative Team can be reached at investigate(at)ap.org.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Police arrest man who posed as Mormon...
- By changing its name, ABC Family clarifies...
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes...
- Federal judge: Tribal court can't hear...
- 'Harry Potter' e-books come to life in new...
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit filed by...
- Pumpkin spice with a side of anxiety? How...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 62
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from... 50
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Mother-son bond over guns links Oregon,... 21
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance... 21
- Clinton pitches new gun controls... 15
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15