The church sold the Tribeca building last year for $9 million, $2.5 million less than what it had paid.
In exchange for the church's Aug. 14 agreement to cooperate in the ongoing investigation, the attorney general's office agreed not to block release of $4.5 million in proceeds remaining from the Tribeca sale so the church could buy a new home in Harlem.
KEYES: DONE WITH DISASTER WORK
Keyes says disaster and devastation have taken their toll. He's no longer a full-time pastor of Glad Tidings. His wife leads the church.
He and some volunteers recently helped build a home in Pennsylvania for victims of sex trafficking.
On his website, Keyes said he is "working with struggling towns and cities to write a screenplay and shoot a film in order to lift them out of poverty." He wrote that movie stars would be involved, and that the "lofty venture" would "result in the actual turnaround" of the yet-to-be-selected town.
Also, within the last year, Keyes has been on eBay selling a special coffee from Africa named after his Aid for the World charity. In its most recent financial disclosure report, that charity stated it owed $1 million to Glad Tidings and $300,000 to Keyes.
Keyes insists he's done with disasters, mostly because he says 9/11 and Katrina cost him, physically and emotionally. He was once lean and athletic. Now he struggles with his weight, at one point last year topping 400 pounds.
"I would never go back to relief work again, even if you pay me," he says. "It was a circus."
Associated Press researcher Judith Ausuebel in New York contributed to this report.
The AP National Investigative Team can be reached at investigate(at)ap.org.
- AP source: Clinton's choice for VP to be...
- Hillary Clinton selects running mate for...
- Self-assured, Kaine brings a steady hand to...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- California governor denies parole for Manson...
- AP Poll: Support grows among Americans for...
- IS attack on Afghan protest kills 80 people,...
- Political scandals linger as Philly readies...
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 42
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 34
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 23
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 22