— Use prefixes, suffixes, and root words and other strategies to identify unfamiliar words
— Multiply single- and multi-digit numbers
— Divide multi-digit numbers by one-digit numbers
By the end of fourth grade, you can expect your child to:
— Begin to make more decisions and engage in group decision-making
— Think independently and critically
— Show a strong sense of responsibility
— Be able to memorize and recite facts, although he may not have a deep understanding of them
— Increase the amount of detail in drawings
— Write a structured paragraph with an introductory topic sentence, three supporting details and a closing sentence that wraps up the main idea of the paragraph
— Understand cause-and-effect relationships
— Add and subtract decimals and compare decimals and fractions
— Multiply multi-digit numbers by two-digit numbers
— Divide larger multi-digit numbers by one-digit numbers
— Find the area of two-dimensional shapes
By the end of fifth grade, you can expect your child to:
— Be generally truthful and dependable
— Develop increasing independence
— Improve problem-solving skills
— Acquire more-advanced listening and responding skills
— Enjoy organizing and classifying objects and ideas
— Be able to read and concentrate for long periods of time
— Read complex text fluently and with good comprehension
— Research a topic using a variety of sources, and use the features of a book (for example, the index, glossary and appendix) to find information
— Identify conflict, climax and resolution in a story
— Write an organized, multi-paragraph composition in sequential order with a central idea
— Use problem-solving strategies to solve real-world math problems
— Add and subtract fractions and decimals
— Identify and describe three-dimensional shapes and find their volumes and surface areas
— Use long division to divide large numbers by multi-digit numbers
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 41
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- School leaders look for solutions to... 22
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 12