"He's a great quarterback and you want to put as much pressure on him as you can," Watt said. "You want to put as many guys in his face as you can. He still made a lot of great throws. They're going to have a heck of a year. He's a great quarterback, but we had a good day defensively."
And Schaub had a great day offensively.
Schaub mixed quick scoring strikes of 60 yards to Johnson and 52 to Kevin Walter on play-action that fooled the Broncos' safeties with a methodical 97-yard touchdown drive in the first half that ended with a 3-yard TD toss to running back Arian Foster.
The Broncos jumped out to a 5-0 start on Elvis Dumervil's sack/safety and Matt Prater's 32-yard field goal before Johnson sped past cornerback Tracy Porter at the line of scrimmage and hauled in Schaub's perfectly thrown pass to put the Texans ahead for good with 6:28 left in the first quarter.
"We gave them points early," Schaub said. "We got backed up and we had a play pass there and I just held it a split-second too long. They have good pass rushers and you hate to start the game that way. And then obviously, you're giving them a short field on the kick afterward.
"But our defense really held up and played extremely well. It was great to get back into the rhythm of the game and get back on our script and be able to hit Andre for the big play."
Tight end Owen Daniels, whose 14-yard touchdown grab made it 31-11, said the Texans aren't going to get this good start get to their heads.
"I don't think we're going to make too much of it, but we've played three games and we've got three wins," he said. "But we've got a long ways to go. We've still got stuff to clean up but it's a great position to be in right now."
Thanks to that tough guy Schaub.
"He's one of the toughest guys I've seen play," Daniels said. "Sometimes, I don't think he gets enough credit for how tough a guy he is. He was taking some shots. I didn't see the shots with my own eyes, but I heard 'em.
"For him to come back in after stepping out for a play and getting his bearings was huge for us and huge for the confidence of the guys in the huddle, knowing that he was going to do everything he could to make sure we won that game."
Notes: Texans OL Ryan Harris played against the team that cut him this summer. ... Schaub went 17 of 30 for 290 yards and a 115.3 passer rating.
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 64
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16