PORTLAND, Ore. — Lavell Ika scored the go-ahead touchdown with 1:35 remaining, and Southern Utah's defense stopped Portland State at the 1-yard line on the final play to hold on for a 49-42 victory on Saturday night.
Brad Sorensen threw for 311 yards and four touchdowns as the Thunderbirds (2-2, 1-0) won their first-ever Big Sky conference game. They outscored the Vikings 14-0 in the fourth quarter and never led before Ika's TD, a 1-yard rush.
Portland State (1-3, 1-1) furiously drove 66 yards in to face first and goal at the 2, but Kiernan McDonagh threw two incompletions before being stopped on a quarterback sneak.
McDonagh threw for 270 yards and a touchdown. The Vikings had 317 rushing yards.
Mitch Jessop caught nine passes for 159 yards and two touchdowns for the Thunderbirds. His 39-yard TD reception in the fourth quarter tied the game at 42-42.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 15
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14