PORTLAND, Ore. — Lavell Ika scored the go-ahead touchdown with 1:35 remaining, and Southern Utah's defense stopped Portland State at the 1-yard line on the final play to hold on for a 49-42 victory on Saturday night.
Brad Sorensen threw for 311 yards and four touchdowns as the Thunderbirds (2-2, 1-0) won their first-ever Big Sky conference game. They outscored the Vikings 14-0 in the fourth quarter and never led before Ika's TD, a 1-yard rush.
Portland State (1-3, 1-1) furiously drove 66 yards in to face first and goal at the 2, but Kiernan McDonagh threw two incompletions before being stopped on a quarterback sneak.
McDonagh threw for 270 yards and a touchdown. The Vikings had 317 rushing yards.
Mitch Jessop caught nine passes for 159 yards and two touchdowns for the Thunderbirds. His 39-yard TD reception in the fourth quarter tied the game at 42-42.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30