SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Jazz legends Karl Malone and John Stockton will join former BYU athletes Richard George, Chad Lewis and Doug Padilla next month in being inducted into the Utah Sports Hall of Fame.
The Oct. 23 event at EnergySolutions Arena includes a 6 p.m. reception and 7 p.m. dinner. For reservations ($75), send checks or credit card information to the USHOFF, P.O. Box 95982, South Jordan 84095.
Malone and Stockton were inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in consecutive years. The Utah Sports Hall of Fame is honoring them simultaneously, after they played together with the Jazz for 18 seasons and on two U.S. Olympic teams and shared co-MVP honors in the 1993 NBA All-Star Game in Salt Lake City. In 1996, each was named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History.
The BYU honorees include two track and field athletes and one football player. George was a three-time NCAA All-American and a three-time WAC champion in the javelin at BYU. Padilla was on five consecutive national indoor championships, four outdoor titles and two U.S. Olympic trials events.
Lewis, a graduate of Orem High School, caught 111 passes in his four-year BYU career. Playing for the Philadelphia Eagles, he led NFL tight ends with 69 receptions in 2000.
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Gordon Hayward's buzzer-beater extends Jazz...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 32
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 25
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22