BYU blog Vanquish The Foe: If Riley Nelson isn't healthy, Taysom Hill has to start
Our Take: BYU coaches Bronco Mendenhall and Brandon Doman have both said that, if he is healthy, Riley Nelson is their man at the quarterback position. But injured or not, Nelson's horrific performance in Thursday's loss to Boise State doesn't seem to justify that confidence. Brett Hein from Cougar blog Vanquish The Foe shares this analysis:
Riley Nelson is clearly not healthy. That, or he still struggles to make good decisions. Apparently, Bronco Mendenhall says Nelson will start against Hawaii if healthy. I take that to mean coaches think he stunk tonight only because he was hurt. If his back is as hurt as it seems, though, I doubt eight days is enough to make a big enough difference.
Either way, I'm not sure I want to see Nelson on the field. At this point, 6-6 gets you to the same bowl 10-2 does -- though I highly question anyone who thinks Riley Nelson can lead BYU to 10 straight wins, including Utah State, and on the road at Notre Dame and Georgia Tech. I'm not sure how solid I am on this position, but Taysom Hill looked good enough to me.
Read more about BYU's quarterback situation after losing to Boise State on Vanquish The Foe.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 48
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45