BYU blog Vanquish The Foe: If Riley Nelson isn't healthy, Taysom Hill has to start
Our Take: BYU coaches Bronco Mendenhall and Brandon Doman have both said that, if he is healthy, Riley Nelson is their man at the quarterback position. But injured or not, Nelson's horrific performance in Thursday's loss to Boise State doesn't seem to justify that confidence. Brett Hein from Cougar blog Vanquish The Foe shares this analysis:
Riley Nelson is clearly not healthy. That, or he still struggles to make good decisions. Apparently, Bronco Mendenhall says Nelson will start against Hawaii if healthy. I take that to mean coaches think he stunk tonight only because he was hurt. If his back is as hurt as it seems, though, I doubt eight days is enough to make a big enough difference.
Either way, I'm not sure I want to see Nelson on the field. At this point, 6-6 gets you to the same bowl 10-2 does -- though I highly question anyone who thinks Riley Nelson can lead BYU to 10 straight wins, including Utah State, and on the road at Notre Dame and Georgia Tech. I'm not sure how solid I am on this position, but Taysom Hill looked good enough to me.
Read more about BYU's quarterback situation after losing to Boise State on Vanquish The Foe.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 152
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 50
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 30
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27