In some remarks candidate Mitt Romney made at a fundraiser, he stated that he wasn't interested in going after the 47 percent of voters who receive some sort of government monetary distribution. He feels they are a "lock" on Obama.
I am going to assume that the 47 percent includes those of us who receive or will receive social security checks.
Let's make one thing perfectly clear: Those who receive Social Security are simply receiving back monies they paid into the system; they earned it; they paid it; and they should get it back, according to the contract they have with the U.S. government.
This is not the same form of entitlement that someone who receives food stamps or other welfare payments has.
In my case it will take me 17 more years to collect what I have paid in, not including what my employer paid in Social Security taxes.
And by the way, I would be in a much better position financially if I had had the option to use that money to fund a private pension, which is invested and pays interest.
- Jay Evensen: Can Chaffetz fix the Postal...
- My View: Protecting Moab through a Master...
- Arthur Cyr: How Harry Potter creator trumps...
- Jay Evensen: Be forgiving, you might live longer
- In our opinion: Drone use must be regulated...
- Kathleen Parker: Has penitent sinner Trump...
- Dan Liljenquist: Ignoring basic economics in...
- Letter: Founders and 2nd Amendment
- Letter: Founders and 2nd Amendment 93
- Letter: Register kitchen knives 43
- Letter: Climate change disagreements 42
- Letter: Knowledge about guns 30
- In our opinion: Leaders must do what... 30
- Dan Liljenquist: Ignoring basic... 28
- Kathleen Parker: Has penitent sinner... 25
- In our opinion: California considering... 22