In some remarks candidate Mitt Romney made at a fundraiser, he stated that he wasn't interested in going after the 47 percent of voters who receive some sort of government monetary distribution. He feels they are a "lock" on Obama.
I am going to assume that the 47 percent includes those of us who receive or will receive social security checks.
Let's make one thing perfectly clear: Those who receive Social Security are simply receiving back monies they paid into the system; they earned it; they paid it; and they should get it back, according to the contract they have with the U.S. government.
This is not the same form of entitlement that someone who receives food stamps or other welfare payments has.
In my case it will take me 17 more years to collect what I have paid in, not including what my employer paid in Social Security taxes.
And by the way, I would be in a much better position financially if I had had the option to use that money to fund a private pension, which is invested and pays interest.
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- My view: The best legislation meets all sides
- Charles Krauthammer: The nation expects...
- A. Scott Anderson: Give students skills that...
- My view: Deeper look at Utah’s...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Letter: Give her time
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 152
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 75
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges... 36
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 30
- My view: The best legislation meets all... 30
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 29
- Letter: Legal weapons on campus 29