Southern Utah football: Thunderbirds ready for 1st Big Sky game against Portland State
Southern Utah University meets an old nemesis this weekend when the Thunderbirds travel to Portland State for their first-ever Big Sky Conference football game.
Southern Utah (1-2, 0-0 Big Sky), which will be looking for its first win in five tries at JELD-WEN Stadium (formerly Civic Stadium), is coming off its first win of the season, a 45-23 triumph at home over Division II?New Mexico Highlands after road losses at FBS-level Utah State (34-3) and California (50-31). The Thunderbirds will be playing their first game as members of the Big Sky Conference this week and their first game against a FCS-level opponent.
Portland State (1-2, 0-0 Big Sky) has lost two straight after opening the season with a 38-20 win over NAIA Carroll College. The Vikings lost a 45-37 decision at North Dakota on Sept. 8 (it didn't count in the Big Sky standings), then traveled to Washington last week where they lost 52-13 to the Huskies.
Southern Utah (1-2)
at Portland State (1-2)
Today, 6 p.m.
JELD-WEN Field, Portland, Ore.
TV: none Radio: 91.1 FM
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Morning links: National college... 96
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 92
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 57
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 28
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of... 21