Southern Utah football: Thunderbirds ready for 1st Big Sky game against Portland State
Southern Utah University meets an old nemesis this weekend when the Thunderbirds travel to Portland State for their first-ever Big Sky Conference football game.
Southern Utah (1-2, 0-0 Big Sky), which will be looking for its first win in five tries at JELD-WEN Stadium (formerly Civic Stadium), is coming off its first win of the season, a 45-23 triumph at home over Division II?New Mexico Highlands after road losses at FBS-level Utah State (34-3) and California (50-31). The Thunderbirds will be playing their first game as members of the Big Sky Conference this week and their first game against a FCS-level opponent.
Portland State (1-2, 0-0 Big Sky) has lost two straight after opening the season with a 38-20 win over NAIA Carroll College. The Vikings lost a 45-37 decision at North Dakota on Sept. 8 (it didn't count in the Big Sky standings), then traveled to Washington last week where they lost 52-13 to the Huskies.
Southern Utah (1-2)
at Portland State (1-2)
Today, 6 p.m.
JELD-WEN Field, Portland, Ore.
TV: none Radio: 91.1 FM
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 64
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43