Southern Utah football: Thunderbirds ready for 1st Big Sky game against Portland State
Southern Utah University meets an old nemesis this weekend when the Thunderbirds travel to Portland State for their first-ever Big Sky Conference football game.
Southern Utah (1-2, 0-0 Big Sky), which will be looking for its first win in five tries at JELD-WEN Stadium (formerly Civic Stadium), is coming off its first win of the season, a 45-23 triumph at home over Division II?New Mexico Highlands after road losses at FBS-level Utah State (34-3) and California (50-31). The Thunderbirds will be playing their first game as members of the Big Sky Conference this week and their first game against a FCS-level opponent.
Portland State (1-2, 0-0 Big Sky) has lost two straight after opening the season with a 38-20 win over NAIA Carroll College. The Vikings lost a 45-37 decision at North Dakota on Sept. 8 (it didn't count in the Big Sky standings), then traveled to Washington last week where they lost 52-13 to the Huskies.
Southern Utah (1-2)
at Portland State (1-2)
Today, 6 p.m.
JELD-WEN Field, Portland, Ore.
TV: none Radio: 91.1 FM
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20