The big devastators of tulips are the four-legged creatures. Deer, rabbits, squirrels, mice, voles and almost any other rodent love the nutrient-rich bulbs. These creatures can destroy hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of tulip bulbs in one season.
Keeping the creatures under control is easier said than done. Keep deer away by fencing or by mesh over the top of the beds. Burrowing rodents are hard to discourage — some gardeners have success by planting daffodil, allium or fritillaria bulbs in their beds.
That method is not foolproof, so for some the only solution is to let others grow the bulbs in their gardens and make periodic visits there.
The springtime beauty is worth the effort. Buy your bulbs and get them planted to create magical and wonderful spring flowers in your landscape.
Larry A. Sagers is a horticulture specialist for the Utah State University Extension Service at Thanksgiving Point.
The Utah Giant Pumpkin Growers weigh-off is Saturday, Sept. 29, at Thanksgiving Point from noon-3 p.m. For information on entering pumpkins and other giant vegetables, go to www.utahpumpkin growers.com/index.html.
Red Butte Garden Bulb and Native Plant Sale is Friday, Sept. 28, from 3 p.m.-7:30 p.m. and on the 29th from 9 a.m.-7:30 p.m. in the courtyard behind the Visitor's Center. Find a great selection of native and waterwise perennials, trees and shrubs, as well as a variety of ornamental grasses and flowering perennials. Staff and volunteers will answer questions and assist with plant selection. Cost is the regular garden admission and is free for members.
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Motherhood Matters: When there is nothing...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- What accounts for the cinematic generation gap?
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- Dear mom on the iPhone: Let me tell you... 76
- 5 underrated Disney movies 17
- Erin Stewart: Prom dress modesty raises... 9
- Top reasons couples divorce... 4
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I... 3
- Did the Internet kill April Fools' Day? 3
- Wyoming ranked third in US in... 2
- The Clean Cut: Young string quartet... 1