The big devastators of tulips are the four-legged creatures. Deer, rabbits, squirrels, mice, voles and almost any other rodent love the nutrient-rich bulbs. These creatures can destroy hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of tulip bulbs in one season.
Keeping the creatures under control is easier said than done. Keep deer away by fencing or by mesh over the top of the beds. Burrowing rodents are hard to discourage — some gardeners have success by planting daffodil, allium or fritillaria bulbs in their beds.
That method is not foolproof, so for some the only solution is to let others grow the bulbs in their gardens and make periodic visits there.
The springtime beauty is worth the effort. Buy your bulbs and get them planted to create magical and wonderful spring flowers in your landscape.
Larry A. Sagers is a horticulture specialist for the Utah State University Extension Service at Thanksgiving Point.
The Utah Giant Pumpkin Growers weigh-off is Saturday, Sept. 29, at Thanksgiving Point from noon-3 p.m. For information on entering pumpkins and other giant vegetables, go to www.utahpumpkin growers.com/index.html.
Red Butte Garden Bulb and Native Plant Sale is Friday, Sept. 28, from 3 p.m.-7:30 p.m. and on the 29th from 9 a.m.-7:30 p.m. in the courtyard behind the Visitor's Center. Find a great selection of native and waterwise perennials, trees and shrubs, as well as a variety of ornamental grasses and flowering perennials. Staff and volunteers will answer questions and assist with plant selection. Cost is the regular garden admission and is free for members.
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Insights from the Behavioral Science Guy:...
- 5 parenting lessons from movies
- The Clean Cut: Lindsey Stirling joins 'Kid...
- After tragedy, couple uses genetic screening...
- Living with Children: Late nights, not school...
- Staying faithful: How the Internet changed...
- Steve Eaton: Hobo tarantulas should get back...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 9
- Living with Children: Late nights, not... 7
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 5
- Staying faithful: How the Internet... 5
- 5 parenting lessons from movies 3
- Face time vs. screen time: The... 2
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its... 2
- Steve Eaton: Hobo tarantulas should get... 2