The Deseret News is introducing four new comics, starting today.
Richard Thompson, creator of "Cul de Sac," has retired because of the advancing effects of Parkinson's disease. The final "Cul de Sac" comic was printed Sunday, Sept. 23.
"At first it didn't affect my drawing, but that's gradually changed," Thompson said about his illness in a statement released last month by his syndicate, Universal Uclick. "But now I've gotten too unreliable to produce a daily strip."
Replacing "Cul de Sac" in the daily and Sunday Deseret News is "Big Nate," by Lincoln Peirce.
"Big Nate" follows aspiring cartoonist Nate Wright, who is 11 years old, 4½ feet tall and the all-time record holder for detentions in school history. He lives with his dad and older sisters and enjoys bothering his family and teachers with his sarcasm.
Other changes in the daily comics lineup, beginning today, are:
"Home and Away," by Steve Sicula, replacing "Thatababy." "Home and Away" features Sam and Sandy Szwyk, typical parents juggling careers and child care. Sam telecommutes, so he handles most of the household chores. Sandy has a high-paying job that requires a lot of travel.
"F Minus," by Tony Carrillo, replacing "Mutts." "F Minus" was chosen by more than 200,000 college students as the winner of a comic strip contest sponsored by MTV.
"Bleeker, the Rechargeable Dog," by Jonathan Mahood, replacing "Dustin." "Bleeker is a barkless, fur-free electronic pet with a heart of gold, a combination iPod, cellphone, camera, printer and GPS belonging to Skip, an average, sometimes clumsy 10-year-old boy.
"Big Nate," "Home and Away" and "F Minus" are in the Sunday color comics as well, effective Sept. 23.
We want to hear what you think of our new comics. Please send your comments by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or regular mail at Deseret News Comics, 55 N. 300 West, Suite 500, Salt Lake City, UT 84101.
- James Garner was a singular talent with his...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for The Rock
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt Lake Valley
- 'Arrow' makes Green Arrow less goofy
- Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton can't save...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 9
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough... 2
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: You're not in... 2
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- Here's how violent, graphic and scary... 1
- 11 cartoon characters who buck stereotypes 1