Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
DENVER — A plane carrying Ann Romney, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney's wife, made an emergency landing Friday afternoon after smoke filled the cabin. No injuries were reported.
An apparent electrical fire forced the detour on the flight from Omaha, Neb., to Los Angeles, campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul said. The candidate and his wife spoke immediately after the incident, said Saul, who shared photographs on Twitter of firefighters boarding the private jet.
Rick Gorka, a spokesman traveling with Mitt Romney, said Mrs. Romney told her husband that everyone was fine.
Secret Service spokesman Max Milien in Washington said there were no injuries on the plane and everyone deplaned after the 2:25 p.m. local time landing. He declined to provide other details.
Airport spokeswoman Laura Coale said the plane, a Challenger 600, was routed to Denver around 2:20 p.m. local time with smoke in the cabin. The plane landed on runway 35L and was greeted by Denver fire and police officials.
Romney was in Nevada, appearing at a fundraiser and rally on Friday. He did not mention the incident during a rally, but aides said he spoke to his wife from a car on the way to the event.
Mitt Romney later was heading to California for a weekend of fundraisers.
Associated Press writers P. Solomon Banda and Colleen Slevin in Denver, Steve Peoples in Las Vegas and Philip Elliott in Washington contributed to this report.
- Rubber chickens, afros and clowns: A look at...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Immigration reform will boost the economy,...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Ferguson protesters across US peaceful,...
- Ferguson businesses torched in overnight...
- Steven Powell ordered to serve more jail time...
- Review: 4 shopping apps that will save you money
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 18
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13