Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
DENVER — A plane carrying Ann Romney, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney's wife, made an emergency landing Friday afternoon after smoke filled the cabin. No injuries were reported.
An apparent electrical fire forced the detour on the flight from Omaha, Neb., to Los Angeles, campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul said. The candidate and his wife spoke immediately after the incident, said Saul, who shared photographs on Twitter of firefighters boarding the private jet.
Rick Gorka, a spokesman traveling with Mitt Romney, said Mrs. Romney told her husband that everyone was fine.
Secret Service spokesman Max Milien in Washington said there were no injuries on the plane and everyone deplaned after the 2:25 p.m. local time landing. He declined to provide other details.
Airport spokeswoman Laura Coale said the plane, a Challenger 600, was routed to Denver around 2:20 p.m. local time with smoke in the cabin. The plane landed on runway 35L and was greeted by Denver fire and police officials.
Romney was in Nevada, appearing at a fundraiser and rally on Friday. He did not mention the incident during a rally, but aides said he spoke to his wife from a car on the way to the event.
Mitt Romney later was heading to California for a weekend of fundraisers.
Associated Press writers P. Solomon Banda and Colleen Slevin in Denver, Steve Peoples in Las Vegas and Philip Elliott in Washington contributed to this report.
- AP Poll: Support grows among Americans for...
- IS attack on Afghan protest kills 80 people,...
- Political scandals linger as Philly readies...
- How Hillary Clinton chose Virginia Sen. Tim...
- Police say Munich suspect was obsessed with...
- AP PHOTOS: A selection of pictures from the...
- Hillary Clinton still hard to define despite...
- Penny-farthing owner keeps on riding
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 42
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 32
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 23