Ed Andrieski, Associated Press
Our take: Following Mitt Romney's secretly recorded comments about the "47 percent," a counter video was released of Pres. Obama back in 1998 talking about how he believes in redistribution in the government. Peter Grier, from The Christian Science Monitor explains what redistributing wealth can mean:
"To what extent do US federal taxes redistribute wealth? That's a question that comes up because 'redistribution' is a hot word in American politics at the moment. Republicans in recent days have been brandishing a newly released 1998 tape on which then-state Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois endorses the concept of government redistributing wealth from one group to another.
"I actually believe in redistribution, at least at a certain level, to make sure that everybody's got a shot,' says Mr. Obama on the 14-year old recording."
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says violated its...
- They put the giving in Thanksgiving
- Suicide vest found in Paris raises possible...
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back waterboarding
- Minneapolis police say 5 shot near protest scene
- TV Buying Guide: Get out tape measure before...
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to...
- House votes to curb Syrian refugees,... 89
- Trump says he saw people celebrating... 37
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 32
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 28
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 25
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Rep. Mia Love endorses Marco Rubio for... 22
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes... 15