Ed Andrieski, Associated Press
Our take: Following Mitt Romney's secretly recorded comments about the "47 percent," a counter video was released of Pres. Obama back in 1998 talking about how he believes in redistribution in the government. Peter Grier, from The Christian Science Monitor explains what redistributing wealth can mean:
"To what extent do US federal taxes redistribute wealth? That's a question that comes up because 'redistribution' is a hot word in American politics at the moment. Republicans in recent days have been brandishing a newly released 1998 tape on which then-state Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois endorses the concept of government redistributing wealth from one group to another.
"I actually believe in redistribution, at least at a certain level, to make sure that everybody's got a shot,' says Mr. Obama on the 14-year old recording."
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters...
- Bridezilla, meet 'Bridechilla'
- Obama announces new birth control fixes for...
- Deported Mexicans find new life at call centers
- Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common Core
- How poverty plays a role in Ferguson
- Photographer is using portraits to combat...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 119
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 29
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban... 17
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 15