Ravell Call, Deseret News
BYU (2-1) at No. 24 Boise State (1-1)
Thursday, 7 p.m.
Bronco Stadium, Boise
Blue Field Turf
Radio: 1160AM, 102.7FM
For Boise State ... The Broncos jumped back in the rankings this week and they're aiming to earn another win on a national stage.
For BYU ... The Cougars are looking to bounce back after a bitter defeat at the hands of Utah last weekend.
For Boise State ... The Broncos are 59-10 when playing on national television. They own the best home winning percentage in the country since the start of the 2000 season with a record of 75-3.
For BYU ... The Cougars are 3-1 under coach Bronco Mendenhall when playing a Thursday game immediately following a Saturday game.
Boise State will win if ... the Broncos force turnovers, limit BYU's rushing attack, and put together sustained drives against the Cougar defense.
BYU will win if ... the Cougars play composed in front of the loud crowd at Bronco Stadium, and avoid the many offensive and special teams blunders that plagued them last week at Utah.
Player To Watch
Riley Nelson, BYU: The senior quarterback is dealing with a back injury and he struggled at times against Utah. Can he make enough plays for his team to pull the upset?
BYU's offensive live vs. Boise State's defense: The Cougars had issues protecting the quarterback and opening holes up the middle vs. Utah. BYU is counting on improved play from the O-line this week.
Boise State: Right tackle Jake Broyles, who suffered a minor injury last week and did not play against Miami (Ohio) is expected to play Thursday. Defensive tackle Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe is back from a one-game suspension.
BYU: Offensive lineman Houston Reynolds suffered a season-ending Achilles' tendon injury against Utah.
Boise State visits New Mexico on Sept. 29, while BYU hosts Hawaii (6 p.m., ESPN) on Sept. 28.
Date Opponent Time/result
Aug. 30 Washington State W, 30-6
Sept. 8 Weber State W, 45-13
Sept. 15 at Utah L, 24-21
Sept. 20 at Boise State 7 p.m.
Sept. 28 Hawaii 6 p.m.
Oct. 5 Utah State 8:15 p.m.
Oct. 13 Oregon State TBA
Oct. 20 at Notre Dame 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 27 at Georgia Tech TBA
Nov. 10 Idaho TBA
Nov. 17 at San Jose State 2 p.m.
Nov. 24 at New Mexico St. 1:30 p.m.
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- Jazz grind out impressive 93-82 win in Memphis
- 1A boys basketball tournament: roundup of...
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns to...
- Morning links: Jazz's sudden rise; SI breaks...
- Dick Harmon: Work of BYU's new strength coach...
- The name game: pronouncing the names of the...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 74
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 41
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40