"The government is the only thing we all belong to," says a recent Barrack Obama ad. There it is, as plain as day, another slogan describing how the left feels about government.
I have never felt I belong to the government. I have, as do most people, felt that the government is there to guarantee my freedom and my constitutional rights. Obama believes that the government is there to redistribute wealth and opportunity and that sums up his philosophy. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Obama refuses to acknowledge the truth and that our rights are God-given: We are "endowed by our creator with certain inalienable rights, and they are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness," as our Declaration of Independence so clearly states.
Art J. VanTielen
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- Rely on invisible hand?
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 31
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24