"The government is the only thing we all belong to," says a recent Barrack Obama ad. There it is, as plain as day, another slogan describing how the left feels about government.
I have never felt I belong to the government. I have, as do most people, felt that the government is there to guarantee my freedom and my constitutional rights. Obama believes that the government is there to redistribute wealth and opportunity and that sums up his philosophy. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Obama refuses to acknowledge the truth and that our rights are God-given: We are "endowed by our creator with certain inalienable rights, and they are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness," as our Declaration of Independence so clearly states.
Art J. VanTielen
- Everything you need to know about the...
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult...
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach
- Letter: Utah's birthright
- My view: Utah's public education system:...
- Socratic observations — Politics are...
- Doug Robinson: So little time, so many...
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line...
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 56
- Letter: Learn the Constitution 52
- In our opinion: Explaining editorial... 44
- Letter: Utah's birthright 39
- John Florez: Corporate or public... 31
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 30
- Letter: Whole story 28
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 27