Real Madrid earns late 3-2 win over Manchester City in Champions League opener
Paul White, Associated Press
MADRID — Cristiano Ronaldo scored in the 90th minute Tuesday as Real Madrid came back earn a 3-2 victory against Manchester City in a Champions League opener that turned into a wild shootout over the last 25 minutes.
City goalkeeper Joe Hart let Ronaldo's dipping shot slip past him after Madrid striker Karim Benzema had equalized in the 87th minute at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium.
City were pegged back for much of the first half but twice took the lead in a frantic back-and-forth finish. Eden Dzeko scored from a counterattack in the 68th minute before Marcelo's curling shot glanced off Javi Garcia into the net to make it 1-1 in the 76th.
Aleksandar Kolarov looked to have handed the visitors the victory as he curled home a free kick in the 85th before Madrid won the duel between the champions of Spain and England.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- First steps: Utes open season with... 56
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 45
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42