Real Madrid earns late 3-2 win over Manchester City in Champions League opener
Paul White, Associated Press
MADRID — Cristiano Ronaldo scored in the 90th minute Tuesday as Real Madrid came back earn a 3-2 victory against Manchester City in a Champions League opener that turned into a wild shootout over the last 25 minutes.
City goalkeeper Joe Hart let Ronaldo's dipping shot slip past him after Madrid striker Karim Benzema had equalized in the 87th minute at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium.
City were pegged back for much of the first half but twice took the lead in a frantic back-and-forth finish. Eden Dzeko scored from a counterattack in the 68th minute before Marcelo's curling shot glanced off Javi Garcia into the net to make it 1-1 in the 76th.
Aleksandar Kolarov looked to have handed the visitors the victory as he curled home a free kick in the 85th before Madrid won the duel between the champions of Spain and England.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Utes capped comeback season with lopsided Las...
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs.... 67
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 36
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26