Real Madrid earns late 3-2 win over Manchester City in Champions League opener
Paul White, Associated Press
MADRID — Cristiano Ronaldo scored in the 90th minute Tuesday as Real Madrid came back earn a 3-2 victory against Manchester City in a Champions League opener that turned into a wild shootout over the last 25 minutes.
City goalkeeper Joe Hart let Ronaldo's dipping shot slip past him after Madrid striker Karim Benzema had equalized in the 87th minute at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium.
City were pegged back for much of the first half but twice took the lead in a frantic back-and-forth finish. Eden Dzeko scored from a counterattack in the 68th minute before Marcelo's curling shot glanced off Javi Garcia into the net to make it 1-1 in the 76th.
Aleksandar Kolarov looked to have handed the visitors the victory as he curled home a free kick in the 85th before Madrid won the duel between the champions of Spain and England.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28