CONNER MCMILLAN, American Fork, cross country: It's hard to stand out on a team with as much depth as the nationally ranked and defending 5A state champions have.
"He really works well with the other guys, pushing them or pulling them in the workouts," said American Fork head cross country coach Timo Mostert. "So we're strong up front."
The junior loves to save the best for last.
"He's really strong mentally and physically that third mile," said Mostert. "He might start off behind some guys, but he really likes to power pass guys in that last mile. His goal is to have negative splits."
The honor student is a hard worker with a good sense of humor.
"He's real musical and a really funny kid," the coach said.
ELLIE CHILD, Davis, cross country: It wasn't until she'd had two successful track seasons that Child decided she might be a pretty good runner.
"This is her first year of cross country," said Davis head coach Corbin Talley of the senior. "She's showing a lot of toughness. She ran really smart and patient on Friday at the BYU (Autumn Classic) meet."
Child ended up winning that meet, beating a talented field of runners, several of whom ran at regional and national championships last year.
"She brings a soccer mentality over to running," said Talley. "She's competitive and feisty."
The honor student gave up soccer to run for the Darts' powerhouse team this season.
"I love how it challenges you," she said. "Without running, I wouldn't be the person I am today. It's taught me a lot of character because of the type of people and the atmosphere."
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah and Utah State should...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20
- Morning links: When will the Utes... 17