CONNER MCMILLAN, American Fork, cross country: It's hard to stand out on a team with as much depth as the nationally ranked and defending 5A state champions have.
"He really works well with the other guys, pushing them or pulling them in the workouts," said American Fork head cross country coach Timo Mostert. "So we're strong up front."
The junior loves to save the best for last.
"He's really strong mentally and physically that third mile," said Mostert. "He might start off behind some guys, but he really likes to power pass guys in that last mile. His goal is to have negative splits."
The honor student is a hard worker with a good sense of humor.
"He's real musical and a really funny kid," the coach said.
ELLIE CHILD, Davis, cross country: It wasn't until she'd had two successful track seasons that Child decided she might be a pretty good runner.
"This is her first year of cross country," said Davis head coach Corbin Talley of the senior. "She's showing a lot of toughness. She ran really smart and patient on Friday at the BYU (Autumn Classic) meet."
Child ended up winning that meet, beating a talented field of runners, several of whom ran at regional and national championships last year.
"She brings a soccer mentality over to running," said Talley. "She's competitive and feisty."
The honor student gave up soccer to run for the Darts' powerhouse team this season.
"I love how it challenges you," she said. "Without running, I wouldn't be the person I am today. It's taught me a lot of character because of the type of people and the atmosphere."
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 52
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 52
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48