BYU basketball: Chris Collinsworth undergoes career-ending surgery
Tom Smart, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU forward Chris Collinsworth will undergo career-ending microfracture ankle surgery, Cougars coach Dave Rose announced Monday.
"I can't imagine the disappointment that Chris and his family must be feeling at this moment," Rose said in a statement. "I wish him the very best with this latest setback and hope his ankle can be repaired and heal with a full recovery. Chris is a wonderful competitor and a great teammate and we will miss him very much. I will always respect and admire his desire, dedication and passion to return to the court to help his teammates. I wish Chris, Tatum and their families the very best in this difficult time."
Collinsworth's BYU career was plagued by injuries.
"This will be my third straight year having surgery and all have been pretty serious," Collinsworth said. "It's been really hard physically and mentally and it's time to move on. When the door on one opportunity closes, others open, and I'm ready to move on and explore those other options.
"I'm very grateful to my coaches, the medical staff, my teammates and the fans who have supported me the past two years and who will continue to support me through this. It's frustrating because I've been a part of such great teams and had such great teammates but I haven't been able to fully contribute since my freshman year. I wish them all the best."
As a freshman in 2007-08, Collinsworth played in 35 games and started six as he averaged 4.8 rebounds and 3.2 points per game. He then left on an LDS mission.
Collinsworth has played only 11 games the past two seasons due to knee injuries. He experienced left ankle pain during the summer and a recent MRI revealed that he would need to have microfracture surgery.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19