Tom Smart, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU forward Chris Collinsworth will undergo career-ending microfracture ankle surgery, Cougars coach Dave Rose announced Monday.
"I can't imagine the disappointment that Chris and his family must be feeling at this moment," Rose said in a statement. "I wish him the very best with this latest setback and hope his ankle can be repaired and heal with a full recovery. Chris is a wonderful competitor and a great teammate and we will miss him very much. I will always respect and admire his desire, dedication and passion to return to the court to help his teammates. I wish Chris, Tatum and their families the very best in this difficult time."
Collinsworth's BYU career was plagued by injuries.
"This will be my third straight year having surgery and all have been pretty serious," Collinsworth said. "It's been really hard physically and mentally and it's time to move on. When the door on one opportunity closes, others open, and I'm ready to move on and explore those other options.
"I'm very grateful to my coaches, the medical staff, my teammates and the fans who have supported me the past two years and who will continue to support me through this. It's frustrating because I've been a part of such great teams and had such great teammates but I haven't been able to fully contribute since my freshman year. I wish them all the best."
As a freshman in 2007-08, Collinsworth played in 35 games and started six as he averaged 4.8 rebounds and 3.2 points per game. He then left on an LDS mission.
Collinsworth has played only 11 games the past two seasons due to knee injuries. He experienced left ankle pain during the summer and a recent MRI revealed that he would need to have microfracture surgery.
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 186
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 83
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50