BYU basketball: Chris Collinsworth undergoes career-ending surgery
Tom Smart, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU forward Chris Collinsworth will undergo career-ending microfracture ankle surgery, Cougars coach Dave Rose announced Monday.
"I can't imagine the disappointment that Chris and his family must be feeling at this moment," Rose said in a statement. "I wish him the very best with this latest setback and hope his ankle can be repaired and heal with a full recovery. Chris is a wonderful competitor and a great teammate and we will miss him very much. I will always respect and admire his desire, dedication and passion to return to the court to help his teammates. I wish Chris, Tatum and their families the very best in this difficult time."
Collinsworth's BYU career was plagued by injuries.
"This will be my third straight year having surgery and all have been pretty serious," Collinsworth said. "It's been really hard physically and mentally and it's time to move on. When the door on one opportunity closes, others open, and I'm ready to move on and explore those other options.
"I'm very grateful to my coaches, the medical staff, my teammates and the fans who have supported me the past two years and who will continue to support me through this. It's frustrating because I've been a part of such great teams and had such great teammates but I haven't been able to fully contribute since my freshman year. I wish them all the best."
As a freshman in 2007-08, Collinsworth played in 35 games and started six as he averaged 4.8 rebounds and 3.2 points per game. He then left on an LDS mission.
Collinsworth has played only 11 games the past two seasons due to knee injuries. He experienced left ankle pain during the summer and a recent MRI revealed that he would need to have microfracture surgery.
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Tyler Haws to play with Cleveland Cavaliers...
- Jazz not expected to be a major player (or...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- Reports: Jackson Vroman found dead
- Why is William Penn, a Quaker university in...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 47
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 32
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 25
- NBA draft: Utah Jazz select Trey Lyles... 22
- NBA draft: Utes' Delon Wright selected... 17
- Upstill: Does Trey Lyles have what it... 16
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13