BYU basketball: Chris Collinsworth undergoes career-ending surgery
Tom Smart, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU forward Chris Collinsworth will undergo career-ending microfracture ankle surgery, Cougars coach Dave Rose announced Monday.
"I can't imagine the disappointment that Chris and his family must be feeling at this moment," Rose said in a statement. "I wish him the very best with this latest setback and hope his ankle can be repaired and heal with a full recovery. Chris is a wonderful competitor and a great teammate and we will miss him very much. I will always respect and admire his desire, dedication and passion to return to the court to help his teammates. I wish Chris, Tatum and their families the very best in this difficult time."
Collinsworth's BYU career was plagued by injuries.
"This will be my third straight year having surgery and all have been pretty serious," Collinsworth said. "It's been really hard physically and mentally and it's time to move on. When the door on one opportunity closes, others open, and I'm ready to move on and explore those other options.
"I'm very grateful to my coaches, the medical staff, my teammates and the fans who have supported me the past two years and who will continue to support me through this. It's frustrating because I've been a part of such great teams and had such great teammates but I haven't been able to fully contribute since my freshman year. I wish them all the best."
As a freshman in 2007-08, Collinsworth played in 35 games and started six as he averaged 4.8 rebounds and 3.2 points per game. He then left on an LDS mission.
Collinsworth has played only 11 games the past two seasons due to knee injuries. He experienced left ankle pain during the summer and a recent MRI revealed that he would need to have microfracture surgery.
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- BYU, Utah fans react to Max Hall's arrest...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 76
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 37
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 34
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31