Our take: Utah teachers are paid an average $37,000 to $52,000, according to an article from Mother Jones. How are Utah teacher's average pay compared to the Chicago teacher on strike and other teachers across the nation? Dave Gilson, Tasneem Raja and Jaeah Lee of Mother Jones analyze American teacher's pay:
"The Chicago teacher strike has resurrected the question at the center of much edupontification: Are American teachers underpaid or overpaid?
"For some perspective, we've compiled data on the average wages of elementary-school, middle-school, and high school teachers in more than 300 metropolitan areas. As you'll see, most teachers make more than $45,320, the average yearly wage for all occupations tracked by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Yet the range of what they earn varies widely: Elementary-school teachers in Jefferson City, Missouri, earn an average of $37,090; their colleagues in Long Island, New York, earn an average of $90,560."
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- Living with Children: Late nights, not school...
- No gray area: Beliefs shape firm, disparate...
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants to hit US
- Study claims cave art made by Neanderthals
- AP Analysis: Putin digs in for long Ukraine...
- 32 teens escape from Nashville detention center
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants... 18
- House, Senate intel chiefs press White... 17
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 11
- US judge blocks enforcement of new... 9