Our take: Utah teachers are paid an average $37,000 to $52,000, according to an article from Mother Jones. How are Utah teacher's average pay compared to the Chicago teacher on strike and other teachers across the nation? Dave Gilson, Tasneem Raja and Jaeah Lee of Mother Jones analyze American teacher's pay:
"The Chicago teacher strike has resurrected the question at the center of much edupontification: Are American teachers underpaid or overpaid?
"For some perspective, we've compiled data on the average wages of elementary-school, middle-school, and high school teachers in more than 300 metropolitan areas. As you'll see, most teachers make more than $45,320, the average yearly wage for all occupations tracked by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Yet the range of what they earn varies widely: Elementary-school teachers in Jefferson City, Missouri, earn an average of $37,090; their colleagues in Long Island, New York, earn an average of $90,560."
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Virus expert sees 'silver lining' in Ebola...
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Indiana man's confession leads to 7 bodies
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social Security
- Oscar Pistorius starts serving 5-year prison...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- This type of high school can increase your...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 40
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 23
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 22
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 20
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 9