Our take: Utah teachers are paid an average $37,000 to $52,000, according to an article from Mother Jones. How are Utah teacher's average pay compared to the Chicago teacher on strike and other teachers across the nation? Dave Gilson, Tasneem Raja and Jaeah Lee of Mother Jones analyze American teacher's pay:
"The Chicago teacher strike has resurrected the question at the center of much edupontification: Are American teachers underpaid or overpaid?
"For some perspective, we've compiled data on the average wages of elementary-school, middle-school, and high school teachers in more than 300 metropolitan areas. As you'll see, most teachers make more than $45,320, the average yearly wage for all occupations tracked by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Yet the range of what they earn varies widely: Elementary-school teachers in Jefferson City, Missouri, earn an average of $37,090; their colleagues in Long Island, New York, earn an average of $90,560."
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters...
- Bridezilla, meet 'Bridechilla'
- Obama announces new birth control fixes for...
- Deported Mexicans find new life at call centers
- Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common Core
- How poverty plays a role in Ferguson
- Photographer is using portraits to combat...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 119
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 29
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban... 17
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 15