Our take: Utah teachers are paid an average $37,000 to $52,000, according to an article from Mother Jones. How are Utah teacher's average pay compared to the Chicago teacher on strike and other teachers across the nation? Dave Gilson, Tasneem Raja and Jaeah Lee of Mother Jones analyze American teacher's pay:
"The Chicago teacher strike has resurrected the question at the center of much edupontification: Are American teachers underpaid or overpaid?
"For some perspective, we've compiled data on the average wages of elementary-school, middle-school, and high school teachers in more than 300 metropolitan areas. As you'll see, most teachers make more than $45,320, the average yearly wage for all occupations tracked by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Yet the range of what they earn varies widely: Elementary-school teachers in Jefferson City, Missouri, earn an average of $37,090; their colleagues in Long Island, New York, earn an average of $90,560."
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been...
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah cities...
- Luck, instinct determined fates of volcano...
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Officials confirm first Ebola case diagnosed...
- Olympian Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charge
- Obama goal of Gitmo closure stalled at Pentagon
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 13
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 12
- Tens of thousands of immigrant families... 11
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 11
- Parents of Michael Brown unmoved by... 7