Our take: Utah teachers are paid an average $37,000 to $52,000, according to an article from Mother Jones. How are Utah teacher's average pay compared to the Chicago teacher on strike and other teachers across the nation? Dave Gilson, Tasneem Raja and Jaeah Lee of Mother Jones analyze American teacher's pay:
"The Chicago teacher strike has resurrected the question at the center of much edupontification: Are American teachers underpaid or overpaid?
"For some perspective, we've compiled data on the average wages of elementary-school, middle-school, and high school teachers in more than 300 metropolitan areas. As you'll see, most teachers make more than $45,320, the average yearly wage for all occupations tracked by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Yet the range of what they earn varies widely: Elementary-school teachers in Jefferson City, Missouri, earn an average of $37,090; their colleagues in Long Island, New York, earn an average of $90,560."
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Photo gallery: Atop One World Trade Center,...
- David Letterman leaves late night with thanks...
- The most popular boy names from 1960 to 2013
- Utah State hires Louis Wilson as assistant...
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 155
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Obama: Climate change deniers endanger... 26
- Sen. Lindsey Graham: 'I'm running' to... 18
- Obama bans some military-style... 16
- Official says Iraq's 'Ramadi has... 15
- Belfast baker guilty of discrimination... 14
- FTC: Family raised $187 million for... 12