Our take: Utah teachers are paid an average $37,000 to $52,000, according to an article from Mother Jones. How are Utah teacher's average pay compared to the Chicago teacher on strike and other teachers across the nation? Dave Gilson, Tasneem Raja and Jaeah Lee of Mother Jones analyze American teacher's pay:
"The Chicago teacher strike has resurrected the question at the center of much edupontification: Are American teachers underpaid or overpaid?
"For some perspective, we've compiled data on the average wages of elementary-school, middle-school, and high school teachers in more than 300 metropolitan areas. As you'll see, most teachers make more than $45,320, the average yearly wage for all occupations tracked by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Yet the range of what they earn varies widely: Elementary-school teachers in Jefferson City, Missouri, earn an average of $37,090; their colleagues in Long Island, New York, earn an average of $90,560."
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex marriage
- Government ups air bag warning to 7.8M vehicles
- Inspector: 'Serious lapse' at Secret Service
- Q&A: Journalist Dan Rather speaks on courage...
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 111
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 22
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 19
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 16
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 10
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 8