Our take: Utah teachers are paid an average $37,000 to $52,000, according to an article from Mother Jones. How are Utah teacher's average pay compared to the Chicago teacher on strike and other teachers across the nation? Dave Gilson, Tasneem Raja and Jaeah Lee of Mother Jones analyze American teacher's pay:
"The Chicago teacher strike has resurrected the question at the center of much edupontification: Are American teachers underpaid or overpaid?
"For some perspective, we've compiled data on the average wages of elementary-school, middle-school, and high school teachers in more than 300 metropolitan areas. As you'll see, most teachers make more than $45,320, the average yearly wage for all occupations tracked by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Yet the range of what they earn varies widely: Elementary-school teachers in Jefferson City, Missouri, earn an average of $37,090; their colleagues in Long Island, New York, earn an average of $90,560."
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- US, Arab allies hit IS strongholds in Syria,...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking?
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White House...
- Police say rifle carried by ambush suspect found
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- Obama scores coalition victory with Arab strikes
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 14
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 14
- Obama scores coalition victory with... 12
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land... 11
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 10
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 9
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9