Our take: Utah teachers are paid an average $37,000 to $52,000, according to an article from Mother Jones. How are Utah teacher's average pay compared to the Chicago teacher on strike and other teachers across the nation? Dave Gilson, Tasneem Raja and Jaeah Lee of Mother Jones analyze American teacher's pay:
"The Chicago teacher strike has resurrected the question at the center of much edupontification: Are American teachers underpaid or overpaid?
"For some perspective, we've compiled data on the average wages of elementary-school, middle-school, and high school teachers in more than 300 metropolitan areas. As you'll see, most teachers make more than $45,320, the average yearly wage for all occupations tracked by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Yet the range of what they earn varies widely: Elementary-school teachers in Jefferson City, Missouri, earn an average of $37,090; their colleagues in Long Island, New York, earn an average of $90,560."
- Heroes 2014: Ex-CIA officer uses...
- Bad Santa? 5 tips to tackle your holiday gift...
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan combat
- Photo gallery: Christmas around the world
- How to help find a cure for Ebola from the...
- New Russian military doctrine says NATO top...
- Father of pilot captured by Islamic State...
- Protesters rally for 2nd night after shooting...
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 16
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 14
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 11
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan... 10
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 9
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5
- Judge seems skeptical of challenge to... 4